eBay or Amazon?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by jilliansorenson • May 19, 2013.

1. dapperdileep

dapperdileepNew Member

Threads:
    Amazon just launched in my country and I think it is far superior to other e-commerce platforms out there! Personally, the delivery agencies that work amazon are really professional and i get products delivered on time, every time. I also think e-bay's site is less user friendly and there is not as much offers when compared to amazon!

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree on the service of Amazon but there are no auctions on Amazon and this is what makes eBay superior, in my opinion.

I do have issues with eBay but I still think it is one of the best websites for finding bargains.

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I find Amazon to be more professional seeming that eBay. Maybe it is just a stereotype that has grown over time, but ebay just seems to be a lot more kids on it.

4. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I prefer Amazon, I felt compelled to add that some of the deals which you can get on ebay are absolutely brilliant. Even after adding the shipping cost to India, I ended up getting a bargain on a few products.

5. sian123

sian123New Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure in terms of seller. But as a consumer, you always seem to get the cheapest deals on amazon so you would probably have a higher customer base on amazon.

6. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    I find that Amazon has a much better customer service when there are problems and I feel much safer using Amazon than Ebay. One reason I don't like using ti is because Ebay also owns Paypal and find them very much like a large scale scam where I have had my account closed on me once with response. I can also return items in Amazon which make it very easy to handle and get my products I love.

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I recently started using Ebay again after a several year hiatus. Amazon is still my first choice, mostly because there are no fees associated with it. I will use Ebay to sell high-ticket items, but mostly buy off Amazon.

8. SophiaLazar

SophiaLazarMember

Threads:
    I do like ebay. Its quick and since the marketplace is so responsive to used music gear items, if put up a piece of electronics, that I know is sought after, like a vintage musical synth or something, I can expect that bad boy to liquidate on a buy it now in a matter of hours.

I can say though, that my print on demand book publishing through Amazon, (they have a service called create space that will set up print ready books for you, but you only see about a 20 percent return. E-publishing for the kindle and the other tablets is very complex. So if you DO know how to do it with Quark Xpress 9, and you don't need the service from Amazon, you can see an 80 percent return on something that DOES not cost any start up. That's a big service, think about it... They take it out of your return. So, yes, it's a bit more complex that that, but that is basically how it works. They also have these incredibly awesome personal rep that email you and walk you through the whole thing. The ebay company does get personally involved with you on the phone, so far as I can tell) is certainly a system that in terms of selling a product, technically, that you produce, ebay certainly has no manufacturing drop ship item capability.

[in terms of websites that do that, there are others other than amazon that let you publish audio stuff, such a cd baby, and oasis or cafe press]

I digress, excuse, so Ill stay on topic here, between Amazon or Ebay:

There is the fact that if I buy electronics, can you do a thing like the Ebay partner square trade warranties on amazon? The other thing that I know is rumored to be coming, [I don't know when] is the Geek Squad contracts will be available on Ebay. That means, if you are not familiar; that one of the reasons, that someone might have purchased a camera, tv, or laptop from best buy and not online, was that you could place replacement and wear and tear service maintenance plans on them. These are referred to as breakage plans.

This is to protect a very large investment, like a 3500 DSLR, for example. Soon you will be able to get this feature on Ebay, (supposedly). This is kind of a function that can be filled by the Square Trade warranty, which give a form of insurance option on buying a used laptop. If your someone like me, who uses electronics commercially in situations where the received high use and wear, such as mixers, turntables, and very expensive laptop and pioneer cdjs at festivals and concerts and clubs, without this type of extended insurance replacement i can lose a lot of money on things. So that is an area that Ebay can help me protect my investment.

Also the community rating aspect of ebays helps prevent counterfeiting.

Some people don't understand the ramifications of counterfeiting on the economy, or the danger that counterfeit electronics can pose in the average household, since something that is not inspected like a stereo or lamp, and approved, like it has that fake inspection logo on it, can start fires or worse, like a flatiron, can cause injury.

So on ebay, sellers can be rated and you get a modicum of history behind the unknown face that you are buying from.

That's why if you shop at an electronics dealer in store, that says they will match an Amazon price, and you go there and whip out your smart phone and say hey here's that same Nikon 5200 right here, for like 1000 bucks less!
    They will be like, listen, smarty pants, that is FAKE Nikon or its a refurbished (broken) one, because that is NOT an authorized Amazon seller. So it's not Amazons, fault, you just have to be easy with the trigger buying finger, on BOTH ebay and Amazon, and check the seller out as much as you can before punching the pay now button. They just have different methods of doing that, and personally I think ebay is a little better since I know trusted sellers, and often those sellers are actual brick and mortar stores with people that will answer phone calls, and even repair test and refurbish items.

#88Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  9. WizardOfStaz

WizardOfStazNew Member

Threads:
    Amazon is my favorite when it comes to selection, quality assurance, security, and customer rewards. I really love their Mechanical Turk program that allows me to earn a little money that can be put towards purchases on amazon products. Often I have enough in my balance to cover shipping, which is nice. I also like that in general, products on Amazon seem to consistently be of a higher quality than products on eBay. Frankly, some listings on eBay have been extremely disappointing in person. There's also a more secure feeling when dealing through Amazon as opposed to eBay. eBay feels more like Craigslist than like an actual marketplace to me.

10. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon just for the sheer range and not having to worry about dodgy products/sellers which I CONSTANTLY have trouble with on eBay. Real shame I have to use the US Amazon since Amazon isn't in my country yet though.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I use both sites often. They really seem to cater to two different needs. If I do not mind something being used or I need something in bulk I turn to eBay. When I want something new and I am having a hard time finding it in my neighbourhood I turn to Amazon.
    The site that has the best deals, again, depends on what you are searching for but I seem to pay less at eBay. Amazon absolutely has the best inventory. I can find things that I could only get in certain countries. It is fantastic.
    I sell with eBay primarily because I find it simpler. I also find that I do not have to advertise and the items get sold pretty quickly. I am familiar with eBay fees not Amazon. What I do know is that it is pretty easy to circumvent a lot of them. For instance, the fee they charge you for putting an item up can be waived if you have an offer for free insertion. Shipping can be put upon the buyer directly or added to the price if you are offering free shipping to attract buyers. The fee you will always pay, however, is the final selling fee. Which is a small fraction of the sale.

12. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    It's not like you have to pay any fees on ebay either.What fees are you talking about?

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer eBay myself as well. The only reason I like eBay, is because of the great prices that most items are. I hate how Amazon prices are really no different from a regular store, although I do enjoy their free shipping as well. I like eBay, because of all the things I have brought from them. I have brought probably at least a hundred different items from eBay over the years. When using PayPal eBay is completely the best way to go.

14. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    i like them both! ebay for bargains, old clothes, etc. amazon for books, i buy alot of books so

15. frotle803

frotle803New Member

Threads:
    I prefer Ebay most of the time. I do love how Amazon offers free shipping over $25. I have take advantage of that deal quite often. I use ebay to sell and have had better luck on that site then I did on Amazon. Sometimes its hard to compete with the Amazon's warehouse prices as a seller.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I've only had great experiences with Amazon. I have a Kindle and it's been one of the most used things that I have. Downloading books are incredibly simple and incredibly convient. Also, the "Amazon Prime" membership has been amazing while I've been in school. The free 2 day shipping is so useful and it's hard not to go crazy with ordering stuff.

Don't have a lot of experience with eBay because I haven't had any reason not to go to Amazon to shop online

17. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I've never sold on Amazon, but I have sold on eBay. I am not sure what eBay's rates are, but I have never felt like I was getting gouged by them. It seemed like a reasonable fee every time I have sold something.

18. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    That is such a tough question! I love both of these websites. Ebay and Amazon are two of my favorite websites to shop on. I like Ebay for secondhand items. I have purchased secondhand clothes, jewelry, CDs and books mostly. Every once in a while I will find a better price on Ebay than on Amazon when it comes to new items. But not very often. Amazon seems to have the best prices for new items. But really, it is a toss up for me. I will usually look for something on both sites and then I purchase from the one that has the better price on that item.

19. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I found that Amazon has a tremendous upsell on their products. There were products I found on Amazon that were $10 cheaper on eBay with free shipping. Therefore, it all comes down to your preference and both sites have something to give. With eBay you get the prospect of user based auctions. Which can end up costing you less then buying the product straight out. Where with Amazon you get the great customer service and standard shipping time frame.

20. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I'm still somehow of the opinion that eBay is an auction site, and nothing more. It's kind of what it was designed for. Amazon has been more of a "proper" store since the start, and I also like the interface better. That's about all I can add.