eBay versus Amazon?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Bolt • Oct 9, 2012.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My limited experience with Amazon is that is isn't very cheap, the prices are often no cheaper than the other online stores and sometimes more expensive! I have been shopping on eBay for years and I think it is cheaper than Amazon.

What do you prefer? Which website generally offers better value for money?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon has some great deals and great customer service. With eBay you might get an unethical seller that sends you an item that doesn't work or is dirty or damaged. Amazon has many brand new items, Gold Box deals, and sales so you can find some bargains there if you're sharp.

I don't even really think of eBay and Amazon as competitors because Amazon is not an auction site.

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have to disagree OP. I find Amazon way better than ebay. 1) It is in expensive, and 2) it is way less hassle. You simply make your purchase and go. I have been scammed by ebay, but never amazon.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends. If you're buying from companies, then the prices on either place can be rather high.

For brand new items, I often prefer using Amazon and coupling it with free shipping. For used items, though, then Ebay is definitely the place to go for cheap goods.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Jessi, it really does depend on what it is you are buying. I try to compare prices from several sources and always factor in shipping costs as part of the total price. There has been a few items that I was actually better off just purchasing from a local store.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Using a price comparison website can throw up some good results of where you can find the cheapest deal for a certain product. I'm a fan of both ebay and amazon. Often, I've found amazon to be cheaper than ebay, especially when postage is included in the cost. It really depends on what I am buying really.

7. bellahpereira

bellahpereiraMember

Threads:
    I prefer Amazon. I feel like they are more trustworthy when it comes to my purchases. I always feel weird making a purchase on Ebay because you really do not know who you're purchasing from/what their product is really like. It's rather risky. On Amazon, however, you are given the option of purchasing directly from Amazon or from another seller. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but I just feel safer purchasing from Amazon - I can trust them more, especially with payments.

8. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    It's hard to compare them since they're so different in a lot of ways. I basically use Amazon for new products and eBay for used products. Amazon can have some good deals on used products too but I like the ease of flow on eBay when it comes to searching and it's a lot more in depth as far as details and such go. I love both but yeah, depends on what I'm looking for.

9. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Amazon is to high for my taste and the $25 super saving shipping is crap. I always get to 24.99 and I have to buy something like $5 to get over. Plus they don't have the things I like nor do they have great deals. I love shopping at Ebay they have cheap things and good deals and the shipping is great for price.