Ebay

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Kevin128672 • May 21, 2014.

1. Kevin128672

Kevin128672Member

Threads:
    I have never really thought of eBay as a trustworthy place to purchase products. After browsing through the site though, I was able to distinguish the more experienced sellers with good feedback from the others. Today, I just received my new Samsung Galaxy Rush phone for $32. And that was the price for new! On Boost Mobile, they were selling the same phone, but refurbished for $29.99. I have now learned that I've been missing out on great deals, and will definitely consider shopping there again.

Have you guys shopped from Ebay? What was your experience like?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased on Ebay without a problem and have recently sold an item on Ebay. There are some things I would not purchase on Ebay but all in all I think it is safe and you get some protection from Ebay if the seller turns out to be a scam.

3. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    I think Ebay is safe to buy. You are protected. When you purchase something and the money you pay is in Paypal. The seller doesn't have you payment until you receive the parcel and approve of Paypal doing so. I have had sold pearl jewelry on Ebay. I work seriously with standing on buyer's side since I would like to keep going. Also, I like my business and as it my lifelong career.
    Here, I suggest more communication is needed between you.
    Last, May you have a happy shopping time online!

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often shop at ebay and haven't had any major bad experiences so far. But I have to say that I carefully research every product and also read the reviews and ratings of each seller that I do business with. In my own experience most people on e-bay are flexible and understanding. I have also rarely encountered a problem with the delivery times. Only once a book that I ordered from France took almost one month to arrive, but later I found out that the seller was on holiday. Ebay is always one of the first places where I look when I need something.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have purchased few items from Ebay in the past and I only encountered a problem twice.

The first one was a phone that stopped working after 2 weeks of use without any accident happened to damage it.

The second one was with a seller from USA, he mentioned that he does an international shipping but he got annoyed when I ordered his item all the way from Malaysia :D He sent it grumpily and I came back to give him a nice review which made him happy I guess as I received a thank you message to my email afterwards :D

Everything else were fine and my husband had been using Ebay to resell all his used DVDs.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been purchasing from Ebay since 2004 and I have found the quality of the service from the sellers has been steadily going downhill for quite a few years now. I reckon at least about 50% of the stuff I have ordered has not arrived in the last two years because they don't offer secure delivery these days in order to keep their costs down.

7. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I purchased a couple things from ebay and my experiences were pretty good. As long as you stay aware of the reviews and customer service guidelines per "store" you shouldn't have any problems with them either. I usually shop around there and compare all the reviews before I'm definite with who I want to order from. I heard that some people would get scammed on it. :(

8. Bispo Barbosa

Bispo BarbosaNew Member

Threads:
    Before buy in Ebay, check the prices on Amazon...Most of the time I get better prices on Amazon.

9. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Ebay in years, honestly. I feel like it's kind of past its prime. You can often find better prices on Amazon, and there's a lot less hassle through Amazon. I don't sell anything on Ebay either. I just use Craigslist these days. It's not that I necessarily think Ebay is unsafe - it's just outdated and complicated. And I think their website is not very user-friendly.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sellers are in a weird position on eBay because if they charge extra for shipping with tracking, the buyer will buy from someone else that offers free shipping.
    So either the seller has to pay for tracking and expedited shipping out of their own pocket, or use a cheaper shipping method that might not be as secure.
    Plus sellers have to deal with eBay fees and Paypal fees. I always pay for a tracking number for items that I send out, but I have actually lost money on some eBay transactions.

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy and sell on Ebay. I've only encountered two problems and that was with shipping. One package was mailed out regular mail and took a week to go. The buy assumed they would get mail from KY to
    California in two days. Not hardly considering they are on opposite sides of the map. The logic of some people.

Otherwise, I've had a positive experience both ways.

12. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of Ebay for big(ger) ticket items, but not in general. I prefer Amazon or buying local.

13. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I use EBay all the time. It is true, you might not get what you asked for. I find it helps to make sure the photo shown is not the manufacturers photo but the actual photo of the item. Also, you have to check sizes on things because sometimes it can be deceiving. I almost bought a skateboard that was the size of my finger the other day thinking it was a great price on a real board! It was my fault for not noticing it said, 'finger board'. But it was sandwiched in between a lot of real boards and so after awhile it is easy to get google eyed and not notice the tiny details. Several times items have not come, or were damaged and every time the seller has resent it at no extra charge. I have had a lot better customer service with EBay then a lot of other peoples personal sites. I think the fact that the seller's get rated helps them to be honest. I also like the fact that you can choose what country the products come from, are shipped to, etc. I also like it because you can purchase using Pay Pal which is a safer way to buy online for me when I am overseas.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Did you buy the phone from a Chinese seller? Be careful, I read that fake Samsung phones look like just the original nowadays to the point that it's hard to distinguish one from the other. I have shopped several times on Ebay already, but I only did not get 3 items because it was stolen from our local post office. The other transactions I had were otherwise pleasant.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still shop on Ebay once in a while but it's not my first choice. I'm still mad that I never got the 200 dollars back from those pirated DVDs. I suppose in a way that it was our fault because we didn't report it to the police but I find it baffling that reporting to the police was the best suggestion that Ebay could give us back then. We sent a certified letter to the seller. They never replied but they did read it. I think they are more trustworthy now that they have the new money back guarantee program but it's just a shame that they didn't have it when I needed it.

16. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I dont like Ebay too much. Never had any real issues, but I was scammed before,

I prefer actual stores when online, but you can find some good deals.

17. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I very rarely buy or sell on eBay, but my experiences for the most part have been generally good. I just find the whole site itself really confusing and poorly designed though. Plus the ratings system is a bit insincere - people want ratings for just about every little minuscule thing. I don't normally feel compelled to write a review unless there is something extraordinarily good or bad about my shopping experience. Likewise, I feel kind of silly when a seller rates me for buying from them.

I've noticed with selling stuff, as long as you come in at a low enough price, it will generally sell right away. Often times I am just looking to unload some things, and I know it's already going to cost a lot to ship them, so I will come in at a really low price, way below everyone else. Each time I've done this, my stuff has sold within an hour or two. Then I usually specify that it's "as is" with no refunds - just to set expectations, so they don't start nit-picking about every little thing. I also make sure to include clear pictures, especially if there is some damage or wear and tear on the item(s), so they can see that up front.

For purchases on there, the only time I ever really got "burned" was when I bought a bottle of cologne. The seller used a commercial image of the full size bottle, but in the text description mentioned it was only a sample size bottle (like 1.2 oz). I paid about what I would have paid if I went to Wallgreens and bought one of those mini bottles, so I wasn't really "ripped" off, but more or less let down, because I thought I was getting a bigger bargain.

One thing I was a little confused by though - I thought eBay charged you to list items on there. Just recently I sold an old cell phone of mine on there, and they didn't charge me anything for the listing. Years ago when I sold a camera on there, they charged me like $2.50 to place the listing.

18. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Ebay was like the first preference from the people from a Decade but the thing is because of a lot Scams we get to see inappropriate things in it which are in a way something that is got nothing do with people their purpose of staying with it is just to earn for the sake of themselves.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    E-bay is great for digital and used products. Funny thing is you can buy a book less than $1 on e-bay. If I wanted to buy other products thought I'd have to be very cautious. So many people have been scammed on for anyone to ignore that fact. It's better to be safe than sorry at times. When you have doubts . . . head off to Amazon.

20. thymeless

thymelessNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Ebay since 2009 because their service scammed me badly. I deeply regret I fell for their derisive bait twice! The first time, I bought a Xbox 360 but never actually received it, so I decided to contact them regarding the issue. They told me they were looking for a way to contact the owner of the product and that they would've called me back upon successfully contact him to try and mediate. Of course, this didn't happen. It wasn't that much money, around $280, so I simply closed the account and moved forward. I knew that the owner made himself with easy $300, but I didn't feel bad. I sometimes like to do donate to charity. :cool:
    The second time involved a simple iPhone case, which was around $20 ( the cheapest one compared to other stores). The experience recurred even at that moment, as I didn't receive anything - again -. I didn't even bother to further contact them regarding the issues, it would've been pointless. I preffer to spend few bucks more and receive the product rather than spend $50 less but never actually receive. Not a good investment whatsoever, aye? :D