eBay

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Bolt • Oct 7, 2012.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think eBay is great for clothes shopping. The only downside is not being able to try the clothes on. You can check the measurements but you can never be sure of the fit until you wear the clothes. However, there are many bargains to be had on eBay and you can hunt out exactly what you are looking for if you use the search functions.

Who else likes to shop for clothes on eBay? What is your best bargain?

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Like you rightly pointed out, not being able to try clothes for size and not being able to see the actual color (no matter how many photos they put up, you'll usually be surprised to see how different the real thing looks when it arrives in the post), and the inability to get a quick exchange or refund are some of the disadvantages of shopping online for clothes. With ebay, if you know beforehand what you are looking for - for e.g., a certain brand, a certain style and size, then you are more likely to be happy with your bargain purchase. I do this occasionally with brand new Marks & Spencer jeans and their Per Una range, if I have seen the exact same product in the store and know exactly what I am buying for a discounted price online.

3. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    Ebay is my main source for clothes buying these days. The way I have learned to avoid unpleasant surprises is to stick with a few brands I know. This way, I have a pretty good idea the size is going to fit me and the color is going to be okay even if it doesn't exactly match the photo. The brands I like are out of my budget these days, but ebay makes it possible for me to still enjoy them. I also stick with high rated sellers.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know my measurements but measurements on paper and measurements in reality are two different things. I've bought ill-fitting clothes with the perfect measurements because of the way the garment is cut. I do agree, though, these brands would be unattainable without eBay.

5. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I'll go with eBay when I can, but I also use Amazon a lot for clothes shopping.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh I do.

I especially like buying lots. That way, even if I don't like everything or it doesn't all fit, then I can simply list the extras back on Ebay. I get clothes a lot cheaper this way.

7. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Best Ebay Shopping

Sticking with designers you know and buying from sellers with lots of positive feedback is definitely a good way to play it safe on ebay. However, a person should sometimes be adventurous. If you occasionally go out on a limb and try a new seller or an unknown brand, it is possible to not only get an exceptional bargain, but a super purchase.

Ebay has sellers from all over the country and the world. If you want to get something that is not on the backs of everyone else, Give ebay a try.

8. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Clothes on Amazon

I have never bought clothing from Amazon. In fact, I didn't even know Amazon sold clothing. I will certainly be looking on that site to not only buy but to sell clothing also.

9. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. If you're looking for a certain designer, after a while, you figure out what your best size is with that particular line. For instance, eBay is a great place to find vintage items that you would otherwise need to go to a consignment or vintage store for. If you know exactly what you're looking for, then it's very easy to buy off of eBay.

Another great place to get vintage clothes online is Etsy. Etsy also includes many sellers that do custom sizing, alterations, or DIY to mix things up.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I didn't realize that many people bought clothes online especially through ebay. I have never purchased clothes online. I am very particular about the way clothes look on me. Sizes can vary greatly depending on the designer, cut and the fabric. Some sites offer feedback about certain clothing items, but buying clothes online is not for me.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never brought any clothes from Ebay but i'm sure i will one day. But i have gotten dvds for my daughter before and they were very good prices sometimes Amazon has cheaper prices than ebay so i go back and forth and compare

12. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    I've got some fantastic bargains on eBay in the past year. I had never thought of using it to buy clothes and there is the disadvantage of not being able to try the clothes on first, but you have the same problem whenever you buy clothes online or via mail order.

I brought a beautiful white cardigan from Morgan recently. I had seen it in the stores a while ago for nearly £40.00 but I wasn't working at the time so I couldn't justify spending that much on one jumper. Anyway, I found one on eBay for £5.99 so I brought it straight away and I'm so pleased with it.

I also brought a bundle of tops for a few pounds and the seller was kind enough to put a few brand new tops in with them as she hadn't got round to wearing them,

Ebay is well worth a look if you want a bargain.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've recently started buying clothes I probably wont wear because of the value. When you can buy a cashmere jacket worth 2000 Euros in mint condition for 200 Euros, why not? I might not wear the jacket but I can easily sell it on and make a profit, it's an investment.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you're buying from a designer you're not familiar with, then I agree. For me, I can kind of guess on how various brands of jeans are going to fit me and whether or not they run large/small/etc. I tend to leave that to trying them on in the store, though. If I'm buying clothes online, I'll go with something that's a little easier to guess....like shirts of cuts I already wear, accessories, etc. And buying for kids on Ebay is a lot easier because there's more wiggle room with how well they fit.

15. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    Taxes and customs is the number one reason why I don't want to buy anything too expensive clothing and other stuff from ebay, so I don't have to waste my time in the customs and pay extra fees.
    Supposedly the Gift marking doesn't work anymore and the packages are investigated, just like many others without the label. :(

16. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I like buying online a lot whether in EBay or other sites but I do not shop online for my clothes. I go directly to the mall to try it out since I had a horrible experience on my first time buying clothes online. It was a free size but it was much much bigger! They should have put it on the large/extra large instead. After that, I shop in malls instead.

17. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Ebay is the new equivalent to yardsale shopping for clothes. I love it, but you have to know your general measurements ahead of time. If you don't and something turns out too big or small, you can always resell it on ebay again.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    If there's one thing I don't use eBay for is clothing. USPS international rates (even for First Class) are way overpriced. Buying, say a pair of jeans, on eBay, costs about the same as getting a similar pair of jeans in a local store for me.

I prefer to do my shopping on different stores that offer cheap shipping rates and also on TaoBao, which is some kind of Chinese eBay. It's full of replicas, but it's also full of small business that sell good clothing.

19. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I love shopping on ebay and amazon. I mainly shop on ebay for electronics and books for college. The prices are really cheap and affordable. I'll never buy clothes off their because it be smaller than the sizes in the store.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never shopped for clothes online yet, because just like what you said, it's risky because the clothes might not fit. But if the deal is really, really, great, like the item is 50% off, then I would probably buy it even if I can't try it on. But when it comes to other items like hair products or vitamins, then you can find a lot of great deals on Ebay.