eBook Readers - Are they still Relevant?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Nov 16, 2012.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    eBook readers have limited capabilities. I am not a fan of eBook readers and I never will be. There are a lot of Smartphones, tablets, and phablets that offer lots of features like gaming, web browsing, eBook reading and many more, do you think that the eBook readers still have the chance?

2. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Kindle Fire, and I agree they have limited capabilities especially surfing the web. I do use it to read, and I really like magazines on it. It was a gift, and I probably would have bought an iPad myself, but I'm happy to have it.

3. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Of course they do and the numbers prove it. I personally would love to purchase an Amazon Kindle, but it's too expensive right now and a lot of the books I would like to read, except for the classic fiction novels, which are free, are the same price as the physical books. I personally wouldn't want to read from a smartphone or a tablet because it's really bad for your eyes.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They're still quite relevant, but not really practical if you're on a budget. I'd also rather buy a tablet or a smartphone than a Kindle. But if I really have a lot of cash to spare, then I'd probably buy one for the sake of just owning one.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course they do. Sure, book's a book, but they cost quite a lot, so you can save up some money from getting eBooks instead. And if you are asking about eBook readers vs. tablets and other devices, there is just one word that makes them relevant: e-ink.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also not really a fan of eBook readers because they are very limited as the OP have said. Maybe their only advantage is that they are cheap and lighter compared to tablets but I would choose tablets over these eBook readers 10 times out of 10.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think that e-readers could still be relevant to some individuals, if not many. I tend to steer clear of gadgets that only have one or two functions...i personally prefer multi-functionality. So, a tablet that is able to do many things including reading e-books on would be preferred to an e-book reader but you do get those that feel differently.

SO, I would say that it could still be relevant for some.

8. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    They are still relevant especially for die hard bookworms like me. I want a Kindle too but right now it isn't on the budget so I'm using my smartphone as a substitute. But if I have the choice and the luxury I would buy it with no hesitation. :)

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me ask you, if you were to choose between an ebook reader and a Samsung Galaxy Note, which device would you pick? I'd most certainly pick a galaxy note. Ebook readers are not on my want list since I think they have very limited capabilities.