Educational toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 18, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Do you consider the educational value in a toy when you purchase it for a child? Growing up, I received plenty of toys, but the ones I remember are the ones that had some educational merit. Whether a toy invites curiosity or creativity, it can provide the spark needed for a child to develop a skill. Offering a variety of educational experiences through toys can also give a parent an idea about the types of activities a child may be interested in in the future. Toys that are too educational can often be lacking in the fun aspect for the child and can create an aversion to learning.

When buying a gift for a child, do you buy what the child wants, or do you buy what might help the child grow educationally?

2. Elisa10

Elisa10New Member

Threads:
    You can buy Books, Colors, Puzzle games, block games, story books, there are many items for you, when will you buy things according to age...

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was talking about this very subject with my two nephews. They told me that they loved my gifts. They were all educational(mostly science related), but still fun. The are in their early 20's now, so it was awhile ago. At that time, it was a lot easier to find educational toys in my area. There were a few that provided a great selection. Those stores are now closed. Out of business. There are no more stores in my area that sell educational toys.

If I had to buy a gift for a child, I would still choose some type of educational toy.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I think about the educational value but mostly I buy toys for fun. However, some of the simplest toys can serve an educational purpose too. Building blocks are great for teaching mathematical concepts to children. Water and sand are also great for the same purpose. There are many toys that help to build social skills and vocabulary, especially those that are played with other children. A simple ball can even contribute to the development of a child- especially in the area of gross motor skills.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    What I buy is the one that will really enjoy by the to whom I will give it. I believe that what's important while the kid is growing up is that he's able to know what his interests are, focus on it and be good at it rather than I force him to engaged himself at something that he's not interested in. I think he'll grow more smart if he's able to have fun while engaging to his interest. So when he grows up he already knows what he likes and what he will be doing for the rest of his life. Besides you can learn more when your are doing or engaging yourself at something you're really interested in than on something that is really meant for you learn but your not interested in.