Effect On Beer On You?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by 003 • Mar 22, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's surprising that beer doesn't make me high. What it does instead for me is that it makes me calm. And I think I get the same effect with alcohol in general. But I just like beer them most. It makes me relaxed and after I have relaxed it makes me even more alive, in terms of my thinking. But it generally weakens my muscles as I can't perform well in my workouts especially in swimming hours right after I plunged myself into beer.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beer is my favorite too. I don't drink it a great deal, maybe twice a month but I really enjoy it when I do. They do say not to swim after alcohol because of the effect it can have on your muscles though. Enjoy your workouts then reward yourself with a cold beer afterwards!

3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Alcohol is actually detrimental to people who are working out. Beer is a calorie bomb and might screw up your macros if you're not counting properly. Too much drinking also makes your muscles recover slower and you might not want to exercise after a night of heavy drinking. If you want to drink, try vodka. It has a lower calorie count than most of the booze out there.

Anyway, I used to drink a lot. So much so in fact that beer didn't have an effect on me anymore. No matter how much I drank I was sober. I've had a liver problem since then, so I stopped drinking.:eek:

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Beer has been my go-to when I'm breastfeeding, as it has a milk-increasing effect. Obviously I'm not drinking enough to get tipsy, but I agree, those first couple sips at 5 o'clock are very calming. For me, it is very much mental, like my first couple sips of coffee in the morning. It is a routine that I rather look forward to, something that makes me feel like an adult, and gives me an excuse (even momentarily) to put myself first after taking care of 4 kids all day.

If I do drink a lot, alcohol in general has never made me wild or hyper. I guess that's not my personality anyway. I get really chatty and silly but perhaps a little quieter than usual. Depends on who I'm drinking with also.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Claire, I swear I have never heard that before. What I normally hear is that alcohol can screw up your breast milk because the alcohol can be passed INTO the breast milk. Interesting.

Different people have different reactions to any kind of drug they take. Alcohol included. Some find that alcohol makes them hyper & some find that alcohol calms them. It depends on your personal genetic make up.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped drinking because my body doesn't really seem to like alcohol at all. For some time I was only drinking beer, but even that seems to disagree with my body now. The last time I had a beer I instantly got really sleepy and lethargic, and just wanted to go to sleep.. so I'm abstaining, because the last thing I want on a night out is to be sleepy and not in the mood.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of it depends on where you are and who your with at the time. Beer can have a better effect on you if your out with friends for example than if your just sat at home watching the TV.
    Personally I only really drink beer and very rarely touch things like spirits etc.
    The point made about the calories is right though, it does contain a lot so moderation is the key I think.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not drink a lot of alcohol anymore, because of my stomach issues. But when I would drink alcohol - beer specifically - I would also experience a calming effect? I would never get aggressive. More like, I'd get reflective and pensive, and just content within myself.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It always depended on where I was. If I were at home, I'd be relaxed and reflective.. I did my best writing when I was intoxicated on whatever lol. Out and about though, I'd be super happy; life of the party... I was always a happy drinker around people, I never understood the angry or off their rocker drunks. Funny how everything affects us differently.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never liked beer, I think it smells dreadful and tastes as bad. I used to drink it at college because it was cheap, but it wasn't much fun and I never really got drunk or tipsy as it was so weak.

I think people who drink too much beer end up with a beer belly and it becomes a habit that can get out of control. Most of my friends who do drink beer need a few before they get merry, because beer is so weak these days.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Now that you put it like this, yes - different environments do breed different results when one is under the influence. I'm a flirty Libra at any cost. Even when flirting is not my intention, people think I am. When I drink, I am not too sure if it increases my flirtatious nature or not. I will have to ask my friends lol. I do get a lot more chirpy and carefree when social and drinking though. I used to be able to write whilst intoxicated, but not anymore. Marijuana is more my thing for creativity these days.

12. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Beer has a funny effect on me. Usually I'm a quiet reserved person but after two beers I become an extrovert - super talkative and chatty. For me it just lowers all my inhibitions, in a good way though, I don't do anything outrageous!

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The effect of it depends on my mood. Sometimes it makes me more hyper and talkative but at times it just calms me down. If I drink too much then I tend to get really regretful because I actually don't like the feeling of getting too drunk. The best point for me is just up to the point of getting tipsy, and any further than that usually ruins my good time.

14. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I only drink beer on occassion and in moderate form. 1 to 2 glasses would be the most that I can drink. I do not like the taste and smell of it either. I have tried drinking a lot of beer to the point that I became drunk just to test how would I behave or look when get drunk. Fortunately though, my friends and relatives told me that I just went quietly to the room and slept.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hence the intoxicated on "whatever" bit lol... I used to love to see the results in my writing, depending on what I was on. Such a difference and still absolutely amazing to me. I will never write like that again. Awesome experiences all around.. your basically face to face with yourself, brains wiiiiide open. Beautiful lol.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I'm sure that you must have had those experiences that, whilst you were drunk or tipsy - you would write something, and feel like it was amazing, only to wake up in the morning, sober, and hate what you had written the night before lol. But yes, I love when it flows like that, whether one is intoxicated or not. Beautiful indeed,

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely haha yes. Acid.. some of the deepest, most beautiful, mind blowing revelations.. wake up and it's like WTF IS THIS??? hahahaha. So funny.. it made so much sense at the time and you really feel like you found all the answers, they just became so clear and it will change the world and and and WOW. Then nope :p

18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Beer makes me feel quite high. I definitely feel sad when such things happen. I do believe things should be done in a better way.

19. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    There is nothing like kicking my feet up after work and taking a nice long swig of a very cold beer. I don't have beer often, but when I do I enjoy craft beers like IPA. I hardly ever drink liquor, but enjoy a nice hoppy beer most among alcoholic beverages. I find it relaxing.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Beer and any alcoholic drink makes me sick. Anytime I've tasted the stuff in the past it acted as an emetic. I thought at first it was only beer which had that effect on me. Tried wine and I was vomiting all over the place. Tasted whiskey but still . . .

So no more beers or any other alcoholic beverage for me. Ever.