Egg Shells For Garden Decoration

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • Mar 2, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you considered using egg shells to decorate the garden? Not just the ordinary white shells but the colored or painted egg shells. My niece had painted some egg shells that she placed in a corner of their garden. The egg shells has the semblance of soldiers climbing a mountain. She said that she also plans to decorate the walkway with egg shells on the edges so it would look like planets.

I think it's a good idea to use egg shells because they are cheap and almost zero cost.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aren't they a little too fragile?

While I like the idea it's not something I could practically use. There are lots of dogs that run around here at night and I'd it wouldn't be long before I start redecorating. But it certainly is something I could try one day when I move elsewhere.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    It wouldn't be practical for me either - my dogs would think they were balls probably! One of them is already obsessed with the drawer of onions because he thinks it's a ball drawer! :rolleyes: Not that I ever let him have them, of course.

I've heard of using egg shells crushed up around the base of vegetable plants to deter slugs though! We have a huge slug infestation here it seems like. At night there's so many of them outside you can actually hear them. It's pretty gross. I was thinking about trys egg shells to deter slugs, but I need to get hold of some first, as I don't eat egg!

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I do the same thing with egg shells. I crush them up and put them in the hole when I plant my tomato plants. I was told it add calcium to the soil and prevents slugs and cut worm. I usually need a lot so I start saving about a months ahead of time.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    We also recycle used egg shells by decorating them on our garden but we don't paint them. As what the others said, they're a little too fragile to be considered as a long-term outdoor decoration so we don't really spend much time enhancing them. When they get broken, they become crushed-eggshell decoration for potted plants.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a cute decoration, but I would be afraid that the sun would just make them decompose. I currently crumple up some egg shells and put them in my garden to kill snails and slugs from eating my plants. The shells rip their skin when they crawl over them and then they die.

7. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    No, I've never thought of using them for decorations. I've only used them in compost or used the shells to grow seedlings in. I think it could be a cute, short term decorative idea.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    That actually might be a good way to spice up the little area we have in the back here, and I do know that we will have some decorated eggs on our hands here pretty soon with Easter coming up. I have heard that putting egg shells in the soil is good but had no idea it was that popular. Might have to try that one.