Electric Meter Jumper

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Corzhens • Jun 30, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we rented an apartment, the landlord introduced us to a guy who can fix the meter so the reading will reflect a lower number. A so called jumper is used. It is a pair of wire installed to bypass the meter - the electricity will flow from the source and into the interior of The House to the main electric chamber. The jumper is installed every evening and removed in the morning to avoid being caught by the agents of the electric company.

You can guess that we declined the offer because aside from being immoral, we are liable to pay a high penalty in case we are caught. The best thing to save on the electric bill is to limit the consumption and not to cheat.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So basically a jumper is an illegal device used by individuals who want to use more electricity at the least possible cost. It is cheating all right. In fact, there were a few neighbors in the past who encouraged us to use a jumper so that they could freeload off our electricity source. That was rude and a move only people with a ghetto mindset would entertain. I would not hesitate to report such people to the authorities.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am aware of this type of arrangement which bypasses the meter and causes electricity rates to be very low even when the consumption is high. Some people take the risk and implement this illegal method of lowering electricity cost. The downside to this arrangement is that the electricity provider will be monitoring the usage and they will notice the steep drop in the consumption rate. If they are able to determine that illegal activities were been carried out they will impose enormous penalties on the withdrawal of service which will only be restored after the penalties and fines have been paid-up.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My electric is metered by the company in their office. I think they also use a guesstimate based on previous consumption at the address. I think that doesn't reflect to a T the actual usage, but is simply based on an average. I know they come to look at the actual meter for an actual reading about once per year, or if they suspect a problem.