Electric stove & Cooking Alternatives

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by zoeysmama2011 • Feb 26, 2013.

1. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    Hubby and I are considering moving into an apartment where the only utility we have to pay is electric. I know that I cook stove and oven meals often and he uses the microwave often. Would we be better off using only a crockpot and a microwave? I don't want to run up our electric bill making meals on the stove. What do you guys think? Yay or nay? And are there any cheap alternatives?

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I tend to think there are times when a stove is needed, but then I come from a family with more then two people. If its only you and your husband, I guess you would have to sit down and think about how often you would actually use a stove or if you would use a crockpot and microwave more. Also there are cheaper more cost effective alternative to the oven these days, such as the nuwave oven. However, don't look at me for a review on this product I have only seen it advertised on television, I really don't know if it actually lives up to its claims. Best idea would be to do some research online to find out what previous customers have said about it and similar products to see if its worth investing in. As for an over if you do decide to purchase one I tend to prefer a gas electric one even though they tend to cost more. Why, because I had a situation where the electricity went out on Thanksgiving Day of all days for it to go out. Because we had a gas stove with electric ignition, we actually were still able to use it because it was already turned on when this happened.

3. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    We use an electric stove. But I don't think it costs electric that much as we only use it when we cook of course. Sometimes we cook food that would last a couple of days so that saves us from cooking that much. Then after cooking, we just switch off the socket where the stove was plugged in.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you're over estimating how much of a difference the stove will make. You don't have the stove turned on and cooking 24 hours a day. Most meals that a person makes on the stove take about 20 minutes to whip up.
    If you're going to use a crock pot, that's great. They're convenient. They cook cheap cuts of meat slowly so they fall off the bone, and they don't heat up your apartment.

But don't deny yourself pancakes or stir fry cooked on a stove because you think 20 minutes of cooking is going to make a big difference to your bill. To be honest, I've had an electric stove and the thing that made the biggest difference to my bill was air conditioning and central heating.

Instead of being afraid to use your stove, focus on using fans instead of air conditioning and put on an extra pair of socks instead of running the heater. Air conditioning is where you really see the dollars add up on your electric bill if you're not careful.

5. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Using electric stove burns electricity in a big amount for sure. But bio fuel is more destructive. I suggest you to cook more food at one time that gonna save your electricity bill and time.

6. themdno

themdnoNew Member

Threads:
    I think the stove does use more power, even when just doing something small like using the burner. I have a small portable induction cooker, that I use in place of my burners, and I have a nice toaster oven, that goes up to 500 degrees, that I try to use instead of the oven. I still use them from time to time, but only when I need them. I have a low power bill anyways, so I'm not sure how much it has helped, but I believe that it does help.

7. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know if using propane gas is an option for you. In Jamaica, many people cook with propane gas since electricity is so costly here, costing us US $20 per kilowatt hour to use. I find also that it's better to cook with propane gas than with electricity. I haven't found anything negative about cooking with propane gas so far. I am used to cooking on a propane stove for most of my adult life.