Emergency Money When Travelling

Discussion in Travel started by gata montes • Jul 31, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As there is no getting from the fact that there is always an element of risk with any kind of travel - in that there is the possibility that you could lose all of your luggage as well as all your money - especially as tourists are often prime targets for petty crime.

Its normally recommended - apart from obviously making sure that you are adequately insured - that you have a little emergency money stashed somewhere separate from the rest of your valuables just in case that did happen - as even if its only enough to make a few phone calls to insurance companies, tour operators or family - it will help get you out of tight spot and avoid the possibility of being stranded.

Fortunately even though I've traveled a lot - I've never had the misfortune of losing absolutely everything - however as its always best to be on the safe side - I generally make sure that not everything I have of value is kept in one place and also that I always have various amounts of cash stashed in lots of different places - rather than just one - as that way I stand at least some chance of having something left in order to try and help rectify the situation - should I be unfortunate enough to lose some or all of my belongings.

So what about you - what precautions do you take when traveling - just in case unfortunate events such as these should happen and do you too - always make sure that you have a small amount of emergency money stashed away from your other valuables too ?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our emergency money when we are abroad is the credit card. It's a good thing that our credit cards are accepted almost anywhere. In fact, we don't bring foreign currencies anymore except for small amounts to be used in the airport. We just withdraw the currency from our credit card. What's good is the exchange rate that seems to be much lower than exchanging currencies in the local bank.

3. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a credit card as a back up for cash I may need in an emergency. I, also, always have extra money in the bank so I kept my debit card on hand. I always make sure to buy travel insurance, too. You can never be too prepared when you are traveling.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never have all my cash and credit cards in my wallet. Should some of the money and a credit card get stolen, I'll have a little cash and another credit card which I can use elsewhere. Another precaution one could take to avoid losing all their money is to have it all in a pouch which could be worn under your clothes.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a food for thought - I never imagined a stolen wallet. Yes, it can happen to anyone and anywhere. Now I have to be prepared for eventualities like when our bag is stolen or my purse is lost. I really hope that it will not happen to use because it is too difficult to handle such loss when traveling abroad. That happened to my husband's aunt whose purse was snatched in Rome, right there in the Vatican City.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    You should always make sure that you split your cash up between any bags that you are carrying, and try to carry a small amount on your person if you can - as this is the only way that you can be sure that you're not going to end up with nothing at all if something bad should happen to you. It is definitely worth considering when you go on holiday, as nothing is worse than not having any money, and not being able to speak enough of the language to get you out of the trouble that you are in. So you should certainly try your best to keep some safe, so that you always have it to hand if you need it.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I really dont like to carry cash around. So if my wallet is ever stolen I'll just cancel my debit card and go to my bank and get a new one. They issue new ones on the slot so there shouldnt be any type of issues getting a new one. Dont like to use credit cards, but that would be my other fall back option.

8. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I never thought that carrying cash around in foreign countries is a good idea - I don't even do it in the country I live in. If I do, I make sure to split it between at least three different spots in my bags. At least if one bag gets lost or stolen, I'll have the other two thirds of the money. I also try to keep the wallet containing the most money on me, in a pocket or something. It's always harder for people to steal things when they're on my body compared to when they're in a pocket in the side of my bag.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    One very important tip which really can't be stressed enough - is to never assume that whatever you have in your wallet is safe because it is close to your body - particularly as tourists are always prime targets for pick pockets and bag snatchers - and believe me when I say this - they can lift anything of value and especially wallets and phones without you even noticing it - as well as handbags - which they cut the straps of and run off with just as discretely too.

Which is why - whether in the process of traveling or just plain sightseeing - its always best to follow the advice given by Denis Hard and distribute your valuables in different places around your body as well as in your luggage while traveling - as that way you can avoid the risk of losing all your valuables along with all your cash and cards.