Emery Boards Or Nail Files?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Zyni • Apr 9, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a preference when it comes to doing your nails? I used to have a metal nail file that I used all the time. Lately, I've been using emery boards instead. They are basically cardboard sticks with sand paper on these, for those who don't know. I think they work better for shaping, smoothing, and light buffing. Do you prefer one over the other?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer using a glass file. I find that the metal files make my nails spilt and the card emery boards, whilst effective, don't give as smooth a finish as the glass files do.

The only problem with glass files is that they do break when they are dropped on a hard surface.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Emery boards are always recommended over metal files which can cause breakage. I have quite a few beautician friends who would never touch a metal file. I only use emery boards and the metal files I have around are the ones that came in those cases you got at Christmas.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Emery boards here. I want to like a metal file but just plain don't. The one metal file I have sits on the side of the tub for my husband to clean his nails with. I'm really not even sure how I came to have it since I've always used emery boards.

I can't say as I've ever heard of a glass file, missbishi. That does sound interesting. I might like one of those.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Emery boards are simply easier to use, and they're a little safer in some regards. I don't have much of a preference, and I rarely use either to be honest. I'd go with the emery board, but I'm not going to complain if someone hands me a regular nail file instead.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am using both, emery boards and nail files. I prefer emery boards because they seem to be easier and faster to use than nail files. When I go traveling I always make sure to have both handy, as nail files have many other practical uses apart from taking care of nails. I've used them to fix my sun glasses, my guitar, and once when I locked myself out of my car, my trusty nail file helped me open the door and saved me a lot of trouble.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I hate metal files!

I almost always use those cheap emery board style ones. I also use the larger emery board files and the softer ones like what you see in salons. The metals ones are way too harsh for me, though.