Emotional Discipline

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by ADSSOLSN • Apr 15, 2017.

1. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    I am improving my EQ.
    He argues that, as humans we make most of our decisions according to how we feel.this leads us to wrong spending habits as sometimes what feels good is not necessarily right.

in my efforts to save more, I am training my emotions by resisting to buy anything that is not on my budget.
    what do you think? would you put yourself under such training?

#1Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Self-discipline is utmost requirement for a person to control everything he seems finding it hard to resolve. Whatever his decision he made would always benefit or bring him the worst of it. If it is wrong, why he goes for it. If it is right, why he has reservation in doing it.

As to one one's emotion, it is the same. If he want to be happy, he could do it. It is what he thinks that makes it possible. As long as the man know himself, knows what he is doing, and knows the consequences of it all, there is no reason that he couldn't be emotionally disciplined.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is one of the most complicated ways when talking about discipline (it's "something" very difficult to achieve), but at the same time... It's indispensable for every person to take control - completely - over their own lives (and this is obviously something very important to all of us).

4. ADSSOLSN

ADSSOLSNMember

Threads:
    I agree, taking charge of ones emotions is pretty hard. I have resolved not to stray from my budget but I still find myself buying more than I should.
    I am actually taking lessons about NLP from Anthony Robinson to help me get better control of my emotions.

5. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I'm already stingy with money so I doubt I can discipline myself to get worst. If anything I need to spend more; that is, buy things that I need and stop neglecting to do so. I know a lot of spendthrifts and they definitely need to apply some brakes but I think it's harder to not spend money than to spend it.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess this is good if you need the discipline. I guess emotions do rule buying, for, now I'm looking for alpha letters or engraving services for my relationship, purely an emotional thing. Do I need to do it, no. I just want to do it. So there must be something about disciplining yourself about buying. I just spend what I can on sales to save money & staying in my budget. I know unless you're super rich you'll not have enough money, so I don't get too concerned about money. Helps when you got insurance so in the end you know you'll have enough to pay all your credit card debt.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with OP that some of our buying habits are not necessarily right but we buy based on impulse to do so. Like I used to smoke heavily and wasted lots of monies on them for years but when I stopped, I stopped them for ever. It's been 13 years I have given up smoking and I can see the difference both on my pocket and health. Some of our habits are absolutely of no use and we can get rid of them for sure.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    This is something I lack I'm afraid and I have recently lost money through making impulsive decisions. With hindsight, if only I didn't jump in with both feet when I see something I want I would be much wealthier. However, I have learned from my last mistake as it really was costly.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 we all do that at some or the other point of time but the wiser ones recognize their mistakes earlier than others and become careful for future. Sometimes we do them intentionally or knowing fully well that impulsive decisions will land us in deep waters but we still do it even if we regret them at a later stage. So, once in a while is fun, but repeating them is certainly not a wise step :)

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I know you are right @Ray1@Ray1 but I have such an impulsive nature .. it's as if someone else takes over my mind and body and before I know it I have have made another stupid decision. At 66 I wonder if I will ever change ;)

#10May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017