Energy efficiency appliances

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Gelsemium • Jan 3, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying for a new appliance, a refrigerator or a dishwasher for example, does the energy efficiency status plays a role or do you just go for the basics, meaning price and dimensions? I mean, how important is energy efficiency?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We buy energy efficient light bulbs even though they cost a bit more and the lighting isn't as good. So I think if an appliance was within my price range, even if it was a little bit more, I would probably be prone to purchase it if it were being advertised as energy efficient. Maybe it helps me not feel guilty about spending money. But any little way we can try to conserve energy is a big help in the long run.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Aren't all appliances, except for older used models, made energy efficient? When we bought our appliances the sales person always made it a point to mention the energy savings so that didn't play an important part in buying. Also these were models that we liked and were not suggested to us.

4. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    It's actually hard, nowadays, to find an electric appliance which is not marked and marketed as energy efficient. The only question left is, how energy efficient are they? Is there some kind of standard to measure energy efficiency?

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Pretty much Aree, that's what I think as well and what most of the consumers think if I am not mistaken, except for the exceptionally informed ones. Are we really saving by buying them, is it worth to trade them for our old ones? I really doubt it.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I did notice one thing, though. Appliances which are marketed as energy efficient are usually more expensive than the normal ones. Like light bulbs. The new ones which are said to be energy efficient as as much as twice the price of normal light bulbs. That's what makes me suspect that this energy efficient label is more of a marketing ploy.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sure, they tag them as energy efficient, saying that they will make us save money, but to start with we have to pay more to get them, LOL! So are we saving or are we paying? A lot of marketing in here, you are quite right Victor.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Some are great, but with things like washers you want to make sure they have a setting for washing bedding or bulky items. Unfortunately if you try to wash a fluffy comforter in an energy efficient washer that doesn't have the right setting for it, you may take it out of the washer with dry patches still in it because the water volume used was not even close to enough. If you don't want to have to take your bulky items to a laundromat and sit around waiting for them, this is an important factor to consider.