EU car insurance changes

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by Hedonologist • Dec 6, 2012.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    As some of you may be aware, a change in EU law which came into effect on December 1st means that insurance companies are now no longer permitted to discriminate based on gender when offering premiums. The traditional discounts offered to females will no longer apply, and it's expected that they will see a rise of around 35%. Males were also due to see a decrease of around 10%.

I have personally got a new quote for car insurance and found that it was 3% higher than a quote I got on November 30th! Has anyone else checked their renewal costs?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the US so this has not happened here...yet.
    I am sure that it will be something that will happen in the near future, especially if the insurance companies see that there is a profit to be made. I'll be watching the renewal premiums now!

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    What is the standard difference in male/female premiums in the US? Assuming all other factors are the same. Many men were hoping that their premiums would fall by about 35%, in line with the increase for women, but it seem at best the fall is only 10%, with many people not receiving a discount at all!

4. alishamilan

alishamilanNew Member

Threads:
    I am in Asia, in here it is not so much important. I think all will be good.

5. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Car insurance is a bill that everyone would like to see reduced, and fortunately there are a number of ways to accomplish that. A few simple changes – some of them that you can make with ease, others that might happen on their own – can save you a lot of money when obtaining coverage or insurance quotes.5 ways to lower car insurance rates
    1) Changing your deductible
    The deductible can make a big difference on car insurance premiums, but many people are afraid to carry a higher deductible because they don’t want to have to pay in case of an accident. The truth is that carrying a higher deductible may save you a lot of money over time – more than enough to make up for having to pay it should such an accident occur.
    2) Shopping around for a new company
    Changing to a new insurance company could be the change that brings your rates down the most, but unless you take the time to shop around regularly, you will never know how much you could save.
    4) Tickets and accidents falling off your record
    If you have been paying for an at-fault accident or a ticket on your premiums, the day that it comes off will be a good day for your insurance premiums.