Ever been a victim of a scam?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by addicted_buyer • May 25, 2012.

1. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Hello,

No. Thank god it never happened to me, you must feel so helpless when it happens. I must say, without bragging, that I am really careful. I never trust any website and always take a lot of information before doing anything. I think you need a lot of good sense on internet. If it does look too good to be true, then it s probably too good to be true. ;)

You won't make easy money on the internet, it is hard work like everywhere else. You should not invest on internet or be really careful.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once got a spoof email pretending to be my internet service provider and I used to have AOL and pay my AOL bill online. Anyway, I noticed something weird when they tried to charge $1,900 to my debit card. But they failed because it was one of those prepaid debit cards and only had like $40 on it so the transaction was declined and I saw it and canceled the card. It's funny to think that a few years ago I had dial up internet and a prepaid debit card. I was so ghetto.

I just remembered that the site they tried to use my card number on was a site that sold pool and hot tub supplies. That's laughable ,considering I live in a tiny apartment with no room for a pool or hot tub.

#22Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't, but literally just today I got this gem in my email: This is to notify you that your parcel is still in our possession, this parcel contained an International ATM worth the sum of $2,500,000.00(Two Million five hundred Thousand USA dollars)only and it is ready for delivery to your door step.

4. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    I've never been scammed but thankfully, I'm a paranoid person. Before I do ANYTHING, I research it a lot to make sure that I hear it's legit from multiple places.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    You're a millionaire! Congrats!

/Sarcasm: off/

I can't believe ANYONE would fall for that...

6. mrpotatohead

mrpotatoheadNew Member

Threads:
    I've never been a victim of anything that I'd go so far as to call a scam. I try to be extremely skeptical with anything I click on even when opening seemingly harmless emails. I have signed up for things online that were not what I thought they'd be and felt I'd wasted money, but again, nothing I'd really call a scam.

7. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    Yes.

1. When I was about 14 or 15 I purchased a pair of shoes and after a month they still didn't come to me. I told my parents about it and they were able to get my money back through the bank. I learned my lesson about shady websites.

2.A seller on Amazon was supposed to mail my product within 2 business days. I waited for them to do that, but they didn't. When I emailed them stating that I wanted to cancel the order, they said it had been shipped. All of a sudden they confirmed the shipping on Amazon. I waited almost two weeks and when the product did not come by the time Amazon set for them, I wrote a bad review. They emailed me upset about my review! They claimed that the product was lost in the mail. :rolleyes: I didn't believe that for a second because not only did they "ship" it late, they didn't give tracking information. They told me that they would send another product out, but instead I just told them that I wanted a refund.

8. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I was scammed once but fortunately it was for a digital product (ebook) so I quickly filed a Paypal dispute. Paypal doesn't offer any protection to sellers if they are selling a digital product, so I was able to recover my money easily. Since then I have been very careful of what I buy and I rarely buy anything that sounds too good to be true.

9. benn08

benn08Member

Threads:
    Yes I have, I used to play a game called Runescape. I played it for many years and over the years, I accumulated a huge amount of in-game currency. After I quit, I realized that people actually do buy this in-game currency for real money. I tried to sell my item for $500, and I gave it to the guy and I never saw my money or the person ever again. That was the most I've been scammed of. In the heat of the moment you don't think much, however after the incident I thought of so many paths I could've took that I wouldn't have got scammed, but I was in a hurry to get some money for some reason and got scammed.

10. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Sometimes, we tend to let our hearts judge and not our heads. That's what I usually do when I fell for those scams. I was to eager to believe in their lives and never bothered to do some research and some serious studying. I was naive then but not anymore.

11. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    I haven't been scammed on-line as yet. I make sure that I research every website that I want to buy from. A good site to check on is

, they store complaints and compliments on hundreds of sites. I did get taken in at a flea market though, I payed R150 ($17) for a graphics card, I confirmed twice with the guy at the stall that it was working before buying. Took the card home and it turned out to be a dud. This hasn't stopped me from going back to the same flea market to look for more bargains.:p

12. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    No I have never been a victim of a scam but I am getting more and more concerned over it. It seems like more and more people are having their credit card info stolen or their identity. I'm just barely getting by and don't have any money in any accounts so I'm not to worried about that lol but I just don't want to have to mess with any problems in my future credit. Someday I'm might want to buy a house or something and it would be scary to find yourself in this situation.

I did a couple of weeks ago have someone hack into my accounts online. First I wasn't able to log onto Facebook and was locked out because I could not answer my security question. At first I thought it was just some kind of mistake but then it started happening with all of my other accounts like email etc... I just ended up changing my password on ever site I use and making it into a longer and more difficult one. I guess whoever did it didn't gain much because I haven't noticed anything odd elsewhere.

13. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Years ago, about 20 years to be exact, I was scammed offline, but never online. I thought I was buying a brand new Sears television and it turned out to be a picture tube wrapped in a "Sears Best" box. Only paid $60 for it but 20 years ago, and at my age, $60 was much more than it is today. Maybe that was a precursor, or a way to get me ready for the future. I've never been scammed on the Internet, had quite a few people to try, lots of MLM scams but I never bought into any of them.

14. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    When I was new to online earnings a few years back, I became a member to several PTC sites. Only two of those sites paid me my earnings. As for the rest, I didn't receive anything. I've sent several messages to the site owners but there was no answer. So, after learning from my mistakes, I was more cautious in joining new earnings sites. I'm not going to waste any more of my time, just to end up being scammed.

15. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I got two money orders that were post office money orders and looked legit that were for mystery shopping each one was for 800. I think was ,just reaching the limit allowed by the United States Post Office, I was suspicious of the two , so I took them along with the envelope and letter it came with to the post Office and they said they were fake and that it was a scam that has been going around. It's crazy, I don't know how they do these things and not be worried about getting arrested, not to mention that they are ripping off people who work hard for their money.

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been scammed before because I made sure that I research and inquire about any site before I join them. Sometimes doing a quick research can be the difference between being scammed off all your money or being safe.

17. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I enjoy shopping on ebay and I have been scammed once in the past month.
    I bought these shoes which were strangely inexpensive but still somewhat realistically priced.
    Well I waited one month and shoes were received. Thankfully I could open a case on ebay and within few days I received my money back (price+shipping). :D

18. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I can't think of any single event that I've been scammed at before. But just because I can't think of anything doesn't mean it didn't happen. People aren't always aware they've been scammed. Most class action lawsuits are based on it.

19. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been scammed before but I had a narrow escape once.

At that time, I was waiting for Mists of Pandaria. I was already used to seeing all kinds of emails about my Battlenet account being compromised so I never fell for those. Then one day I got an email saying that I have been accepted for the Mists of Pandaria beta trials. As I was actually waiting to be added to the list of beta testers, I nearly clicked on the link. Fortunately I stopped in time and went directly to Battlenet. There, right on the front page, was an alert about the very scam that I was so very nearly hit with.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you sure that it was Paypal that you used to invest in this site? Paypal never supported HYIP sites from the very beginning. So I'm a bit confused by your statement.

I also got victimized lots of times too by those HYIP sites, but I filed a dispute with Alertpay (now known as Payza). I lost in all of my disputes.

#40Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012