Ever had your Paypal account hacked?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by addicted_buyer • Aug 2, 2012.

1. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Mine has never been hacked. The term hacked implies that someone actively tried to get into your account, when in reality the account was compromised. In 90% of all cases I have personally dealt with the "hacker" was nothing more than someone sending an email asking for the user's password, which was in term given up by the user, then used by the "hacker" to log in to the account.

2. charlesnear

charlesnearNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of that and hopefully I my account wont be hack.

3. alex

alexNew Member

Threads:
    good to know

thanks dude

4. KayleenWare

KayleenWareBanned

Threads:
    Does this thing happens..i mean Paypal's are considered to be pretty secure..they are available throughout the web on major online shopping websites..i guess it is not that easy to hack paypal..if something happens like that it is our fault..we shouldn't reveal the password in any case to anyone..

5. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    No. Whenever I log onto Paypal, I check my task manager to see if there are unnecessary programs running. If there are, I usually shut them down, close my other tabs, and log onto Paypal afterwards. I'm paranoid when I'm working online, especially when typing my password to my email, and especially Paypal. I take many precautions before actually signing in, and update my password every one or two months. Fortunately for me, I haven't been hacked yet, and I hope I will never be.

The hacker can either take my funds and send it to their personal account and shut the account down which is horrible, or they can get your account limited, and steal your credit or debit card info potentially. This is why I encourage anyone and to everyone using Paypal to take the necessary precautions when logging on to your Paypal. You never know when you have a virus or keylogger on your computer that can send all the data from your accounts to an email.

6. Buck

BuckNew Member

Threads:
    God no. Didn't know that could actually happen!

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    No. Paypal is a great system, but people are easily played to be honest. Most of them are either not understanding that not all e-mails are legit or they are using their information in an insecure way (like a public hotspot or public library or something). Just use some common sense and monitor your info.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I also have heard all these terrible stories about accounts being hacked but fortunately this has never happened to me.
    I feel like the best thing we all can do is to just change our password once every month so that we stay on the safe side. Many people now use paypal pretty much for all their buying purposes so changing our password is the least we can do.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have. Not that long ago. I got an email that I changed my password.. then my phone number.. then my address. I tried to get into my paypal and yep, gone. I couldn't get in. Then my money was gone. I called immediately and they reversed everything very quickly. These people are impossible to catch, it happens all the time and if you are using an email for it that you rarely use, you won't catch it before the money finally transfers. careful guys.

I have to add, I'm very careful with my info and not a gullible internet user. I have no idea how they did it.

10. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    PayPal is the world's most trusted and secured way to transfer and receive money from all across the world. Some websites only allow payments or receipts through PayPal.

While it's secured, we all know that hacking is inevitable. You can't prevent it from happening. No matter how many precautionary measures you'll take, they'll find a way to come back and haunt you.

Fortunately, it has never happened with me.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Very thankful it hasn't happened to me...but we all know it can happen on even the most 'secure' sites.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even think that was possible if people were careful with such things. That is why i try to keep all of my money on my bank account and on my paypal i only have a couple of bucks to use from time to time. Got to be paranoid to survive sometimes.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't thank goodness. I read somewhere awhile ago, it might have even been on this tread, that people were sending out phony email messages that were supposedly from pay-pal, and not to click on any links or something like that. Now, ever since I read that, I delete anything from paypal as soon as I see it in my inbox. Don't want to take any chances.

14. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope and i'm glad I haven't I hope I never do.

15. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    Although I personally have not ever had a problem with Paypal I had a coworker who did. This was probably about 8 years ago. She had unauthorized transactions on her account. Withdrawals of course, it never works that they deposit money accidentally does it? Anyways, yes she had money taken from her account when she didn't buy anything. It was a big pain and ended up taking a lot of time and effort on her part. It did eventually get worked out but still, what a hassle!

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been hacked, thank God. When I receive an email that claims to be from Paypal, I don't click on it.
    I go to my Paypal account directly and check for messages or changes.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that would rather hack into other's accounts than get a legit job, so we all have to be vigilant.

17. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    No, I haven't and I never really knew that this could happen since I have never heard of any stories. I am glad that I haven't had mines hacked and now this makes make me want to transfer my monies to my bank account immediately. Normally, I would keep my money in PayPal for a while but now, i think that I am going to stop doing that. I just hate how long I have to wait until I receive the money but I'd rather wait then to have my money stolen.

18. romanesc

romanescNew Member

Threads:
    Yes. This is surprisingly the first account that I have ever had hacked and even more interestingly, I had this account opened for less than six months at the time. This is ironic considering that I have had bank accounts open for years and routinely engaged in online banking with these institutions.

Paypal really needs to up their security measures, as I currently do not place my full confidence in this online system. I still use it, but I would never trust them with a large amount of money. On the same hand, to be fair, when my account was hacked they took prompt action and the issue was effectively resolved. But despite this, their security measures still need to be upgraded.

19. Anna_Bella07

Anna_Bella07Member

Threads:
    My good luck is that my account was not. But one of my friends was. I don't really know what exactly happen but she said that she was purchasing something online in some unknown site where the password of her account displayed in the screen and on her second log in she found her account to be hacked.

20. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    I never had my paypal account hacked because I know how to hack one. And knowing how it is done will help you in ensuring the safety of your own account.

But don't think bad about me, I don't use the accounts that I hacked for purchasing stuff, in fact, I call them. :) I call the users using MagicJack and inform them that their accounts are not safe. But what saddens me is that I got no thanks from all the people I helped. Too bad. I stopped doing that now :)