Ever purchased stuff just because they were on sale?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sidd230 • Jan 23, 2014.

1. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    I have been guilty of this multiple times. I know not a very good thing to do, but the Steam sales are just way too tempting for me to resist. Any tips on how to stop myself from doing this?

2. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I've done it a few times too, even down to online games that I play when they have promotions on in-game items I find myself quite frequently buying it just for the sake of it being a promotion/sale. The best way to stop yourself is to simply spend the money on something else that you need, preferably before you see the sales, that's when they entice you in.

3. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    The worst part is the one click purchase thing for digital items. I click checkout and its done. No more going back after that.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I even buy things that I can't use, but since they're on sale I bought them. I even bought 6 South Park VHS tapes when I don't even have a VHS player! I figured that I can somehow copy them into a blank VCD or DVD, but no such luck.

5. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    VHS tapes? In this date? where did you even find them? I don't see them around now. Last I saw them were in the early 2000s.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't say I haven't, but I try not to. For example, I enter the supermarket and I see the flier with the promotions and I think, wow, this is 50% off, but I don't need it lol. Maybe in some months I'll need it and I end up buying it. Am I saving or losing money?

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I do this all the time, but only with things that I will definitely use. For example, groceries. I very often buy something out of the ordinary because I know the price is unbeatable. For me, this has been a great way to try new things and to keep my grocery budget low.

I also do it with my kids' clothes. I always shop a season ahead and typically, I don't keep a lot of track of what we have and what we need. I have a baseline price for kids' clothes, and when they are well below my price, I buy. And it has always saved me money in the long run.

So I can't say that I think it is a terrible habit. Savvy shoppers know their price points and will impulse buy when the price is right.

8. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I have. I have gotten better about it lately, though. I try not to buy things on sale unless I would buy them at full price.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think we all have form time to time. Like you I have purchased a VHS despite not even owning a VHS player, simply because it was priced at 10p. I thought that it was an incredible bargain, but essentially it was worthless. If i were to spend any more though I would have to have some use for it, even if it was trivial.

10. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    I guess we need to realize that we are not actually saving money when we choose to buy something at 50% off. We are still paying the 50%.

11. DanielFull

DanielFullNew Member

Threads:
    Just think about if you'd purchase it normally. If you would, go ahead. If you wouldn't (e.g. VHS tapes of south park), put that wallet away.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid doing this, but I have made this mistake in the past. I especially go nuts when it comes to office supplies and organizing containers because I always feel like I can use them for something. Now I just moved and have too many containers so I actually see how much money I wasted that could have been put to better use.

13. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Steam Sales are a great example for me. I'd never pay 10 dollars for that game...but for 2.50? Why not?

I used to do this with clothes I really liked, even if they didn't fit at the time. I've stopped doing that.

14. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    My brother gets sucked in my Steam sales. I've never seen the big deal. I usually get suckered into sales on home goods, groceries or clothing.

15. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I will buy something that I don't "need" if it is on sale sometimes. Usually this is an item that is on my "want" list of something that I expect to need in the near future. I am occasionally guilty of grabbing something on an impulse because it is bright and shiny and I just MUST have it NOW.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All the time! I have been seriously trying to combat that need to buy things on sale! Everytime I receive an email saying "sale" somewhere I look at it (well obviously not every email, just ones from stores I know!). I have almost bought a new stove recently just because it was on a good sale. Thank goodness I didn't, because I don't need a new stove!!!

17. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I give in to sales too much. It's hard to resist a game that's 75% off. But too many times I've bought games on sale and barely played them or didn't like them. Now there's always some pre-order or early access discount. With digital items it's so easy to make purchases too.

18. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, but I'm pretty good about making sure it's stuff I actually want or need. For example, I will buy a lot of out-of-season clothes and shoes just because it's such a good bargain. I don't really follow trends, so I have no problem picking it up and putting it in my closet for next year.

19. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I do, I absolutely love a sale and I'm a couponer. I just can't possibly see products that are 75 and 90 percent off and just leave them. I have found all kinds of stuff for my stockpile by checking out sales and always hitting up clearance racks.

20. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Yes but only when it's something I know I can find of use somehow.