Ever tried buying Absinthe (in the US) directly from Czech online retailers?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by vest007 • Dec 19, 2012.

1. vest007

vest007Member

Threads:
    Due to certain restrictions, it is almost impossible to get quality Absinthe in the USA. You will be able to purchase certain spirits which are labelled "Absinthe", but they differ significantly (in flavor and alcohol content) from the Absinthe versions available in the EU.

When I was in the US, I once tried to purchase Absinthe (made in the Czech Republic) from absinthesupply.com, and it turned up pretty well. In addition to the two bottles, I got two bonus samples (of 5 cl each), two absinthe match sticks, an absinthe spoon and a few sugar cubes. The Absinthe was of the highest quality, with bright green color and alcohol content of 70%.

Unfortunately the site is down now. My friend wants to buy original Czech absinthe. Does anyone know of alternate sites where I can purchase absinthe?

absinthe-francois-guy-50cl-450732_p.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting question...I've always wondered about absinthe but have never tried it myself, so I'm afraid I don't have any advice on where to get it. I'll be watching the topic though...hopefully you get some good answers.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried a couple of different brands of it here in the US, and couldn't get past the awful taste. I've read that the wormwood doesn't really do anything in terms of hallucinations, but rather it is suspected that the pigment they were using to give it it's distinctive green color was actually toxic and that's what was causing the trippy reactions to it.

If you look around for some smaller online shops, you may be able to find one that will ignore the laws and ship it discreetly anyhow. The only thing you need to watch out for is to make sure it's not fake. There was an article about this recently, apparently it's becoming more common these days: