Ever Tried Learning How To Do Repairs?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Nov 14, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are thousands of videos, tutorials, how-to articles, etc, on the net from which you can learn to do some minor repairs around The House. Of course there are things you shouldn't try to fix [wiring-related stuff] but everything else is worth learning so that instead of calling in an 'expert' to replace broken tiles [for example] you could do that yourself.

Anyone here do small repairs themselves?

#1Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I can do small home repairs. I learned them through the years from my father and grandfather because they like to do repairs on their own. We also had a subject in highschool where we were taught how to do these kinds of things. I am glad that I learned them because these lessons are truly valuable. I can even make my own electrical extension or replace busted plugs of appliances! ;p

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I can do the basic repairs in my home. I think I have learnt it from my father but it was never very intentional. The only reason I learnt it was I used to enjoy watching him work. Hence that helped me gain some skills.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to do some really basic stuff, tighten things up, fix a toilet chain, replace things that screw on and off. I have never really been trained at home repair though, and I've never owned my home, so I do not have any way to learn now because the landlord does not want tenants doing anything.

5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    most definitely! If I have a minor repair issue that I think I can handle on my own I will definitely try to conquer it. Why waste the money on hiring someone if I can do it myself. Also, if it's electronic my husband can often fix it -- which is a huge convenience.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm guilty of not putting very much time into this...not only is my husband very comfortable with house repairs, but we have maintenance here in our apartment that can help with things as well. Still, it is something that I want to learn eventually- there are some things it's just good to know how to do, just in case a need ever arises and no one else is able to do it for you.

7. DirtOnWall

DirtOnWallNew Member

Threads:
    It's fun to do your own repairs if you have free time, but I usually leave the dangerous stuff like fixing the TV to the pros as the TV contains an electrical charge even when turned off and unplugged.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should always try to fix things yourself as long as they are not dangerous. Anything electrical shouldn't be touched, but things like filling a hole in the wall or screwing a nail into the wall, you ca learn to do. I had to learn how to unblock a toilets and since then, prevention is so worth it!

I always try to look up solutions, then ask a friend for advice and only then do I call someone if it doesn't work.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Back when I was a single mom, I learned to do a lot of small repairs out of necessity. I didn't have someone to run over and do it for me, and I couldn't afford a service call, so I learned to do it on my own... the hard way. I think it's great that there is so much info online now days. I actually like making small repairs, putting things together, and even making small items, now. It's fun. I think it still makes my husband nervous when he sees me walk by with a power tool though, haha.

But, I do know my limits, and if I need help, I ask.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I already tried learning how to do repairs especially in electronic devices or equipment since it has been taught in our school. That's why I applied it at home not only once but more than twice just for simple works. It is fun knowing how to repair things so that you don't need to spend money and pay it to others to do the job.

11. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    When I lived on my own and my landlord was kind of a tool, I learned how to fix my own toilet, I can also fix washing machines pretty well as my mum always had a problem with hers and the repair men were always there and I had to stay in and wait so I learned a lot. Thankfully though my other half is really good at DIY and she really enjoys it too.