Ever Used Egg White As Glue?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Mar 2, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Egg white apparently can be used as glue for paper. For those who have kids that are always demanding glue for the art projects this might save you a little money. I haven't used it yet but those who have say it works really well. You can test it anyway yourself and see if it works.

Anyone here used egg white as glue?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is a surprising but interesting revelation, however, I am a bit skeptical about the cost saving benefit. To attest to the cost saving opportunity, one would have to measure the cost of the amount of glue vs the cost of the egg or eggs utilized. The other problem here is that eggs are raw by nature, therefore, this may probably cause some unpleasantness in the presentation.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have - but not since I was a child when we used egg white glue for arts and crafts - such as - sticking pressed flowers to paper, as well as glitter or material and of course for making papermache.

In fact bearing in mind - that egg white glues have been used throughout history for anything from - sticking gold leaf to surfaces, repairing ceramics, holding furniture together, as a varnish on oil paintings to stop the color fading to building canoes and especially the latter - as egg white glue once dried is totally waterproof - there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't still work.

That said - although egg white glue does have excellent adhesive properties - its now generally only used as a sugar glue in confectionery - as not only are there more stable better alternatives available - but they are way more way cost effective too - as unlike egg white glue which has to be used within a short time of making it - all modern day adhesives have a much longer shelf life.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I did seriously wonder where this was going then, but then I saw you meant for children's art projects, which I suppose is a lot more reasonable. I did wonder weather you was using it for others things, although come to think of it what do people even use glue for?

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a trivia that I hope would be interesting to you. The Philippines is a predominantly Catholic country with so many old churches. Based on history, most of those churches built in the 18th century (year 1700s). Those churches are made of big blocks that were attached using limestone and egg white. At first I didn't believe until I had talked to one parish priest that indeed the glue was egg white from the donations of the parishioners. You can imagine how many thousands of eggs were used to build a church.

6. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! This is a real trivia for me. I never knew about this. It's very interesting to learn that the sturdy structures were actually built using egg whites. If that's the case then it means that egg whites can be great adhesives and they can stand the test of time and different conditions such as too much heat and getting wet.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that is pretty interesting! I do know that in the old days some people used an egg in a radiator to stop a radiator leak. I guess the adhesive properties of the eggs were what they were after. Eggs are not that cheap these days so, I don't think using them in art projects and other household things are going to save any money, but it is nice to know should you run out of something.