Ever Wanted To Host Your Website On Your Computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Feb 24, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's assuming your ISP isn't against it and your site won't be getting much traffic.

I stumbled into software which can make that possible. The software is called abyss webserver . . .

They have two versions of the software and one of them won't cost you a penny. If you've ever wanted to see if you can host a site on your computer, you know what to do.

2. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I used to host my own website back in 2006 when there was no cloud. I now use Amazon Web Services to host websites. And many times I don't even do that. I just create a free blog and add a few more features to it.

Anyways, what you're recommending is great. A personal web server provides more freedom, but then again, you will have to shutdown your system at some point and that means there would be downtime.

3. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Dennis thanks for the recommendation. Although considering the cost of shared hosting these days (extremely cheap!), I do not think there are many willing to "roll their sleeves" to be their own hosting providers.

Even $1/mo shared hosting may prove to be more convenient than keeping your computer on 24/7.

Having said this, should total control over the files be the requirement, hosting from home is simply the best way.

Your sensitive files (for example a private PHP script) is never transferred to any other computer. In addition, if you require to host really large files, a home server has the terabytes drives available for modern personal computers at an unbeatable price: no extra cost at all.

#3May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I am not too familiar with how these things work, so correct me if I'm wrong but even if the software was free I think you'd still have to keep your computer running all day everyday. For me I think I'd much rather just pay a monthly fee to someone else since I think that would only end up putting a strain on your computer and it might end up costing you more. Maybe there are special circumstances where this would be preferable since it's obviously a thing, but for me I don't think there's much I'd put on a website that I'd need that much security for.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this! Personally, I prefer just using a hosting website for my site as it's easier. But I do understand that for small businesses, hosting their website on their own computer might be a good option. They must keep in mind that:
    • You should have a static or fixed IP address, not an address that constantly changes every time you reconnect.
    • It's not really that reliable or stable. Your site might experience crashes from time to time, especially when your PC shuts down.
    • Your traffic rate might affect the stability of the site as well.
    • It's best to use a separate PC for this. Don't use your work PC for hosting your site as it can cause some problems like security threats and downtime.
    • It can increase your electricity bill as well since the PC will be running 24/7.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    This is quite revolutionary and webmasters would fare better with it. You can also use another strategy which doesn't require hosting. This involves unhosted web apps in which its made possible for your data to stay on your browser, its not transmitted to a server. This confers many advantages like cost and again, these web apps work with any device.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard that there are software that will allow you to host your website on your computer without needing a host. Interestingly, there are free software for this purpose. I have not tried this though. However, a website hosted in this way will only be able to receive few visitors.

8. gwood

gwoodNew Member

Threads:
    This is fine if you have very low traffic or just giving some kind of a demo to someone. This will no way work properly for a real site even with a decent traffic. Even if your ISP allows it, the performance will be too bad for any real use.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the earlier days of internet in our country, that's the year 2000, my husband was taught by a German to use Dreamweaver, it is a software that makes designing web pages easier. Dreamweaver also handles the uploading of the design to the host. And as a testing of his works, my husband would run the website locally. And when the design was finished, he used our computer for the server. The access is very slow because our package with the ISP is the cheapest. Nevertheless, I don't think it is wise to use your computer for the server of your website. It would be cheaper to just rent a hosting site with a powerful server.

10. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    There was some time when I used to host Counter-Strike servers on my own PC, I used it for playing with my friends and such thing, however, I ended up deleting it because it was quite boring to keep my PC on in order to be able to play in the server. I've never tried hosting a webpage, but I guess it must be easier than a gameserver.

11. angelaandrea

angelaandreaNew Member

Threads:
    i think we can locally servers instilled on PC but i suggest cloud base hosting is best because traffic issues and easily access..