Every Day Items As Gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by cocolgooh • Feb 22, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    In my family we always get every day items as gifts for special occasions. We take advantage of the deals we see on beauty products around Christmas, for example, and give those as gifts to save the recipient money on every day things. I've also done this with food and drink, buying the recipient a selection of their favorite snacks or drinks, in order to save them money. I do buy them other gifts too though, not only every day essential type gifts. Does anyone else do this in order to help save the recipient money?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great thing to do, as it means that you know the gift you're giving is something that the other person is definitely going to use. I like buying people chocolates or bath gels for this reason - you know they're something that definitely won't go to waste, whereas there is always the risk that people might not like things like clothes if you chose to get those for them.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a few people who ask those they'll be getting a gift what they'd like to have and they buy them that. You'd have to be quite rich to buy everyone what they want though so I think buying someone something you are sure they'll find useful is great. This is why from time to time I buy some of my friends food items and though I hate it I can buy someone who drinks some alcohol.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, some of the best gifts are everyday gifts. As we get older, there are the big things in life that we would like to own, sure. But it is those little everyday things that make all the difference, and they are a lot easier to attain, and in bulk. For Christmas, that is usually how the landscape of my gifts look. Lots of everyday gifts that I either want or need, and I love it.

5. beasleym1989

beasleym1989Member

Threads:
    Now that I am older, I actually prefer every day gifts because it saves me money on stuff that I was going to have to buy anyway. I still appreciate the thoughtful fun gifts that I wouldn't buy myself, but in the long run they don't save me any money and I may never end up actually using that item.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Makes sense to give as gifts that the person will use if you know them I feel. Some people may not like it so I figure it'll be safe to give them gifts like gift cards so they can buy what they want. Even a $5 gift card at say like CVS can save you money when you use the gift cards.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I think its a wonderful idea and something that I do more often than not too - as to be honest it seems a little pointless to waste money buying something for someone that is going be put in a draw, thrown out or re-gifted to someone else - when it could be better spent on something that will be useful, is needed and more importantly - is pleasing to the recipient.

In fact its one of my favorite ways of gifting - as although the bulk of the gift is usually made up of a mix of home-made or hand-crafted items - which could be anything from - freshly dried herbs or spices, herb infused oils and vinegars, shelled/unshelled nuts, dried fruits, jams, plants - decorative or edible, chocolate dipped fruits, beeswax candles, citrus peel fire-lighters, calendars to lemon scented soaps - to which I've generally added in a few extra treats such as their favorite brands of something they really love but rarely have - they're always welcomed with enthusiasm and from all accounts - are always very much appreciated too.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like to give every day items as gifts because I know that they will be used. My dear grandmother gave me a fur coat that I have never used and it is sitting in my closet. I am thinking of selling it. A few friends gave me some anti bacs from Bath and Body Works and I use them everyday!

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I like to know any gift I plan to give will be used and I think this is definitely the way to do this. I don't tend to give gift vouchers often myself because sometimes people can't use what you give them easily. For example, I have a friend who's grandmother always gets her vouchers to a shop she can't buy clothing in because they don't cater to her size. She's trying to help, of course. It just isn't practical for her. I prefer grocery store vouchers for that reason personally.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have always been someone who assumes that practicality is something that is underrated when it comes to giving gifts. I know that I personally would like to receive something that I use on a daily basis, and while thoughtful gifts are nice and all, something that I can use is just better in my opinion. I am just fine getting these everyday items as gifts and have no issue giving them either.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea for gifting. It makes more sense than to get them something they may not want or like. I will just go to waste. I have given all different types of everyday items as gifts before. The possibilities are endless and most do not have to be for a certain occasion or season. I like the idea of gift baskets with bath items or even kitchen items. Laundry items would be good too since they can be expensive.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've given practical items as gifts before. If it is something the recipient would need and use I definitely give it. I've given gas and grocery gift cards before. I've bought practical things like knives, glasses etc on sale and given them as gifts knowing that people need them. I try to be thoughtful in my gift giving so being practical is still being thoughtful. It's what someone would use is more important.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am actually shocked to hear that more people don't do this? I have been doing it all my life, and have seen those around me do this all of their lives lol. As we get older, out interest in gifts tends to change to things that are more practical. if there is an event, like a birthday, coming up, and someone wants something, more time than not it happens to be a practical product, so I will buy it for them.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother always gave (and asked for) practical gifts, so yeah, it kind of rubbed off on me. I don't like to waste, so thinking of gifts going to waste seems like throwing money away. I do like to do an occasional splurge, if it's something someone I care about really wants. Even then, I look for the best deal.

One of my kids got her first place, so I bought her a bunch of household stuff for Christmas. I was worried that she would think that stuff was "boring," but she loved it. She was happy to have the stuff and commented that it would save her a bunch of money.

Overall, I prefer both giving and receiving practical gifts.

15. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I think that most people appreciate every day items as gifts. For example, if I happen to break something in my house and a friend notices it, and furthermore replaces it, I am deeply grateful and touched by the attention and kindness. For me, small gifts and appropriate compliments go a very long way. :)
    I've never cared much for complicated gifts around holiday periods. In fact, I've stopped accepting and giving any gifts during all major holiday peiods.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Giving everyday items as gifts is the best way to give someone something you know they will use and appreciate. I love peanuts so my family will give me peanuts and chocolate or a plant as a gift. They know if they give me clothes or perfume I may not use it. I love to get body gels as a gift also, the expensive ones, I will not purchase for myself.

17. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I remember times when I would travel from store to store searching for selected gifts when money wasn't so tight and prices were reasonable. Gradually my thinking moved toward practicality giving gifts for the home or auto.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this sometimes when I don't have anything interesting to buy for my relatives or friends. If I can I will try to look for something unique and memorable but some years I don't have enough time or patience so I just buy something practical that I know they will get to use throughout the next year. My favorite one to go to is a coupon site where I can buy services and products for up to half off and since the items there are very cool, my family always appreciates the purchases even if I didn't make too much of an effort looking for their gifts this time around.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now this I really like the idea of! It's not only thoughtful, but also very handy. It doesn't even have to be because someone is short of cash. Take me for instance; I love my cosmetics and toiletries, and I find I don't always want to stretch my budget to some things I'd really like to get as a treat. So I sometimes tell friends and family that I don't mind Bodyshop, Lush and Boots gift vouchers or stuff from there that they know i like. that's the thing with gifts, you just have really know someone and work with them, because doing that sometimes means you don't have to spend all that much :)