Exercise or diet?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Jan 3, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When you do your body toning or weight loss goal, which would rather focus at, on your diet or on the exercise? For me, I want to focus at my exercise and just a little on my diet, because I really love to eat foods, and it's easier for me to exercise. When I have to abstain my meal or the foods that I like, I really am saddened and depressed. I can't do exercise unlike when I eat I am overjoyed.

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I always think about this topic, as I would consider myself to be an "exercise fanatic". I enjoy a good workout, and I also like eating well. I believe that it is crucially important for hard, consistent exercise to be balanced with a diet that has all the essential nutrients: vitamins and minerals, fiber, proteins, necessary fats from plants and animals, carbs, and minimal sugar.
    It's important that, in guarding our diet when we are on a good regime, that we don't starve ourselves, as research has proven that depriving the body of essential nutrients can result in our metabolism slowing down, or us even developing things like ulcers, due to the alimentary canal feeding off of itself, because it doesn't have enough protein etc.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I couldn't have put it better myself, ExpertAdvice! You make very good points that I always try to observe. It's not always easy, especially during the festive season. I've seriously been slacking , but at the same time stuffing my face!! As I'm only small, it doesn't take long to pile back on. But when I'm in the swing of things, I do all of the above. Well, I'm not as good as ExpertAdvice when it comes to exercise, I wish! But because I love my food and could never starve myself, I do try to find some balance between my food intake and the amount of exercise I do.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely has to be both for me. My best 'work' on my body has come down to stripping out the sugars, caffeine, alcohol etc for a period of time and having a properly devised exercise routine. When I've fallen down on one part of the equation, it just doesn't quite work as well - it's like running through treacle, as the saying goes. Ultimately, it has to be about proper balance, and certainly not extreme behavior on either part.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which is why everyone is fat and unhealthy now. Giving up bad food makes people sad... it's called addiction. The fitness industry relies on it.. it makes them very happy lol. You need exercise for your overall health. You need need need it.. but you do not need a gym or any stressful, painful exhausting workouts.. you just need to keep moving. For weight loss AND overall health, you absolutely need to eat properly. Weight is food.. not lack of exercise. So weight LOSS is food too.. it's not rocket science. I used to work out a lot and I've never ever ever looked better than I do now and I don't exercise like I used to.. I stopped eating garbage and now I don't have to think twice about weight or every bite I take like everyone else...THAT's depressing. All that energy to avoid retaining every meal I eat. I could stop moving for the rest of my life and not gain a thing, because I eat right. I'd die, but I wouldn't be fat when I do lol.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that it takes both. Obviously, it defeats the purpose of getting fit when you exercise a lot and then keep reaching for foods that are bad for you. It's an inner conflict. I think that once you set your mind on getting fit and toned, you naturally want to eat healthy, nutritious food that gives you energy and all the minerals and vitamins that your body requires.

7. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    The trainers at the gym I go to tell me that weight loss is based on 70% diet and 30% exercise. I usually do not my new years resolutions until the 2nd week of January because it is easy to mess up early since you keep telling yourself not to worry since it is still a holiday. I like to focus on workout more than my calories I eat.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To get the best results you need to eat well and exercise often. That would help you stay healthy and lean. You can diet all you like but if you don't exercise at all, you'll pile on some weight whether you want to or not and you'd have start fasting or eating less food to lose that extra weight. Is it worth it? Why not make it easier on yourself and exercise instead?

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just to play devils advocate.. I know plenty of people who eat well and don't exercise and they look great. It wasn't so when they exercised and didn't eat as well. You do not need exercise for weight loss or maintaining. Food is weight. Exercise is a must for health and how your weight is distributed some, but not for weight. It can be a boost for sure.. especially when you're young.. but it will never come close to what food does for you.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it would be nice to choose one over the other. You cannot just diet without exercise. On one hand, you cannot just exercise without adopting a healthy diet. It works both ways. Between the two, however, eating the right mix of food and nutrients has more impact. Exercise reinforces your dieting efforts (not to mention it also sculpts your body to a desired shape). Your weight loss goal must consist of 30 percent exercise and 70 percent diet. Dieting doesn't have to mean abstaining from eating your comfort food. It's all right to have a taste every now and then as long as you don't exceed the required limit. If you're on a diet, you should discard all thoughts of "indulging."

11. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Hi Ancient Poster, the truth is that when living a healthy active lifestyle, it's 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. To make it simple, you can't outexercise a bad diet. If you're eating more than what you're burning, then good luck trying to get a result.

Yes, I know. Everybody loves food, but wouldn't it be better to indulge once you're at ideal weight? Rather reach your goal before having unhealthy cheat meals.

And don't worry, a diet can be yummy too, but don't focus on cutting your food. Cutting your food means that you're also cutting your nutrients. Choose better options that give you complete nutrients and enough energy for you to sustain throughout your day.

12. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    For healthy weight loss, a combination of diet and exercise is essential. This applies to general well being as well. When people say diet, most people think that they need to cut out all the junk foods and other foods they enjoy from their diet, thus restricting what they eat. However, for a healthy diet, there should be no restrictions to your craving, and most junk foods are very acceptable in moderation. The thing to watch out for weight loss is net caloric balance, so as long as you are expending more energy than you are consuming you will lose weight. It is unhealthy to prevent yourself from eating your favorite foods, as this may lead to excess eating later on. A balance of exercise and diet is paramount for health.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's much better to exercise because when you diet you just end up cutting out on all your favorite food and eventually your cravings will come back even stronger. A good mix of the two is best of course but I personally don't mind eating fatty food as long as I portion it well enough and supplement it with a bit of exercise.

14. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    I think it's important to have a balance, you need to exercise and eat healthy at the same time, You shouldn't feel guilty for eating just be more selective what your calories and healthy foods and trust me, you don't need to give up taste, I myself tried to eat a lot of fruits, I also find that power shakes fills me up so I don't eat as much during the day. I have one in the morning and one at night, when it comes to exercising. I also have a balance routine, you should do cardio and strength and don't forget to stretch before you start your routine. If you're just starting out take it slow at first and listen to your body, try to exercise at least three times a days in the week for at least 30 minutes and as you get stronger and feel better you might want to go for an hour, just remember it's a lifestyle to feel good about yourself.

15. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    I would say that both of them are imortant in order to lose fat. But if I really have to choose only one option, I would say that diet is the safe pick. Why? Simple. Your body will loose fat if it is on a calorie deficit. Your body uses energy which is measured in calories, as you probably know alread, so every task that it makes requires energy provided by the foods you eat. No matter how little you eat, your body still does the task that you ask it to do and if you are on a diet, which means that you eat less calories that it needs, then it will have to burn fat in order to obtain the necessary energy.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Diet! I can always cut down on food, but exercise I find a chore at times. I like walking, but I hate gyms and like exercise that is natural and fun. I used to exercise a lot, but recently I have found it less fun and more pressured. Diet is important anyhow, because you need a balance of the right food groups to stay healthy, where exercise does help, but if you aren't eating enough then you don't have enough energy to exercise.

17. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    I've always thought I was firmly in the 'Exercise' camp, but onionman made me think twice. Actually my diet is relatively healthy - I avoid sugary drinks like the plague and generally try to eat home-cooked meals without much salt or grease. But I think of this as more of a taste thing than a diet thing! I would also not mind eating a big bag of greasy chips doused in salt and vinegar every now and then... but mostly my diet is pretty healthy. I never deliberately go hungry though - that's not the type of diet I do!

18. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    Dieting can only help you so much and dieting also usually makes you feel miserable. I prefer exercising to keep myself in good shape, which comes with the nice extra benefit of making my body release a whole lot of hormones that are making me feel good.

19. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    As has been said by other people, your diet and exercise go hand in hand. Remember, being healthy is not simply about eating or not eating something, or simply going to the gym to get a workout. It's about you're whole state of mind and your lifestyle.

If you stop eating food you like all of a sudden, and then are depressed and don't have motivation, you might go to the gym but you're workout won't be very effective. And since you aren't feeling very motivated, you might become less productive during the day, which might further affect your mental state.

As you can see, one of the main aspects of trying to achieve your fitness goals is in the mind, and every little emotion or action can have a ripple effect, so make sure that you follow/develop a plan that keeps you motivated and happy, and the results will come eventually.

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People feel miserable on a diet for two reasons. One, addiction. These foods are designed to make you want more and more. There is a science behind it.. actual science. And 2, because people are depriving themselves of calories thinking that's how they'll lose the weight.. calories are energy.. energy is how we function. Is nobody making this connection? People also love cutting carbs.. the fast track to depression and (for lack of a better word) stupidity. Your brain needs carbs, your every cell needs them. Just stop eating the bad ones. And no, when you cut calories your body doesn't just start magically burning fat.. you're more likely to lose muscle when you treat yourself this way. Food is THE most important thing you can do for yourself. Just because you aren't sick yet, doesn't mean you won't be.. then it will be too late for many of you. And exercise is a must too, but you don't need to climb mount everest to get the benefits. Just.. common sense guys, lol c'mon. Eat real food and move.. it's so so simple.