Exercise or diet?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Jan 3, 2015.

1. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Exercising is "numero uno" in my world. When you exercise properly, you inevitably trigger your body's metabolism and your fat-burning systems. This in exchange helps you have more appetite and you instinctively try to eat the foods that deliver what your body needs. I have notices when I've been exercising properly and consistently, I tend to accompany it with proper dieting in a more rigorous way than merely dieting and expecting to have my body magically behave the same way as if I were working out.

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Both exercise and diet are important, having one over the other will cause imbalance. I eat a mixed diet of meats, vegetables, fruits, grains, and fungi because I like the variety and the flavors all of these foods bring into a meal. My exercises are simple and not complicated, and I don't workout crazy like body-builders because I'm already toned enough without all that excessive regiment and routine.

3. forehandflick

forehandflickNew Member

Threads:
    As previously stated, proper dieting and exercise are vital to healthy living, but I've always been more inclined to focus on exercise than diet. Our bodies are powerhouses for breaking down food into nutrients, so the more powerful our bodies become through growing and working them out, the more efficient we become at digesting food.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It seems like most experts have recommended exercise, not dieting. For instance, one famous diet advertised on TV lets a person eat a lot of food. However, the food is specially made to benefit your health. Nonetheless, it had food that people find tasty, not tofu or something. There might be spaghetti, hamburgers etc. Note, though, the diet didn't seem to specifically mention exercise, but I'm guessing it will at some point.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For a more effective weight loss program, it is a combination of so many factors. But for this thread, exercise and diet can do it. I don't think you can stay fit with exercise while eating anything and any volume. Vice versa, you cannot be in your fighting form by diet alone, you need the exercise as well.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Let's go down to the very purpose of having an exercise and of dieting. Is it to lose or reduce weight, an ideal weight for a person as recommended by health authority? Let's put it to reduce weight. Then both are of important. Exercising could bring the body's ideal physique and taking care or being conscious of what to eat could control the bad elements in the body particularly that of cholesterol and excessive intake of carbohydrates. So exercise and diet should go hand in hand for that matter.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would also focus more on the work out as I love eating and can't minimize the amount I eat or else I will feel weak. Instead, I would try to find alternatives for some foods to healthier choices. For example instead of chips why not get a trail mix with just dried fruit and nuts and so on. I would make a good work out routine and focus on keeping that up. To be honest junk food is my weakness so I would have to have some of that sometime.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I love eating and I am extremely lazy when it comes to exercising so you can imagine the end result. However, my weight fluctuates almost every week because of the diet control that I do in between the days of binging.

I do try and walk thousands or so extra step a day but that results in negligible calorie loss compared to the intake. I depend more on diet than exercise to loose weight. I am usually successful loosing weight after a weeks drop of rice but I tend to regain because I just can't maintain ny diet or exercise routine.

I am still not overweight but I desire slimmer waistline.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    When one wants to lose weight, exercise and a good diet should be consider as they are both important. I would like to shed a few pounds as well and I'm really having a hard time cutting down calories that's why what I do is I just work out hard and burn all the calories that I intake. The good thing is I'm losing a few pounds even if I eat a lot, so I guess if you can't do both, prefer exercise even if you just do it for an hour a day :)

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I would go for both but as you said proper workout is more important than concentrating mainly on diet. You can eat what you love to eat provided you workout enough to burn those extra calories.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    One of my friends lost 50 pounds by simply eating the same things he has always eaten but reducing the amount by about 5% every week until he lost the weight needed. Suddenly stopping or reducing a large amount mostly never works but once you begin slowly eating less, your stomach becomes used to it and that extra food won't be necessary to satisfy. I used to eat 7 slices of pizza in one sitting to be satisfied but I needed to reduce it because of my blood pressure. I ate 6 1/2 for a few days then, after a week, 6 was enough and I kept on going until 4 satisfied me.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well the truth is is that they are best as a pair. Despite all the evidence and everything though, it is still tough to sync up and make sure that you are doing both, but it is certainly best in the long run.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think exercise and diet go hand in hand along the same paths, and they fit perfectly. :) I think the problem is having to reconcile both. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't like to deprive myself of eating the things I like, so... I don't like dieting. However, I love doing exercises (for at least a 4 or 5 times a week I go to the gym).

14. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think there should be balanced approach. Even if you love eating food just select ones which help you to become healthy and at the same time does not count towards your fat accumulation. Eating more fiber rich foods will help you in many ways and it also won't make you obese.

As you know non-vegetarian foods do not have any fiber, it can make you a lot more fatty than fruits and vegetables. So include more fruits and vegetables in your diet. But I won's say to avoid non-veg if you like them but try to control non-veg. I think a good diet with proper exercise can keep you fit and fine.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, it's not one or the other, no, it's both. We need to have a proper diet, that is basic, but our body was made to be moved, not to stay still, it doesn't make sense. So when we talk about exercise and diet, these are not things external to us, it's something we need to see as a life style, it's something we have to see as natural and that we need to do.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think there is more than one way to lose weight then just to exercise once a day and mindless exercise is almost as bad as mindless eating . I think people become gym rats on a treadmill. You really should not get involve yourself in a exercise routine you cannot maintain for lifetime though. Some examples would be to ride your bike to work or do some gardening and do more physical things during the entire day,instead of the boring exercise you do for a hour or so at the gym?

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I totally agree with you @FolkArtist@FolkArtist, we need to incorporate exercise into our life style, and commuting with the bike is an excellent idea. I am not excluding the gym as a complement, but we do need to have a sport we love and that we do for a long time, or else we will just gain back the weight.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I'll like a combination of exercise and regulated meal in order to keep fit. For now I'm not particular about dieting it's a thing I've been practicing even without knowing it and already keeping a good shape. What I think I should focus more on is improve on exercising and learning new exercises.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update I think doing sports for the love of sports is okay for fitness but when it comes to reduce body weight you have to go really all out to achieve that. Gaining extra pounds is kind of tendency. Like everyone cannot increase body weight even if they eat extra the same goes for reducing it. You will have to put extra behind all your efforts like eat right kind of food and exercise rigorously constantly and in a right way that suits you best.

20. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the US, the decline of health seems to be totally about exercise. Note, less than a quarter of Americans get an adequate amount of exercise. In that case, those who have a bad diet and/or have obesity-prone genetics are likely to have a rough time. Therefore, the first step in healing is for a lot of people to get an adequate amount of exercise - even though drastic changes in the schedule might be needed.