Exotic Food May Not Be Delicious At All

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Mar 20, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you fond of exotic food? When my father was still living, he loved exotic food particularly horse meat or goat’s meat. There was also a time that I would buy frogs when my father had a drinking session with his friends. In the recent years, I realized that exotic food is pretty expensive. Goat’s meat for example costs more than double that of beef or pork while frog meat costs triple the price of chicken. I also used to buy quail as a substitute for chicken which is more expensive than chicken. Now I have to admit that chicken is the best in fowl and beef and pork are much better than other meat. So why buy exotic food just to be exotic?

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Even if I had money, I would never buy exotic food, since I have no desire to eat frog, horse, or dog meat. I don't even like to eat raw food like sushi, so you can expect me to not try to eat anything out of the ordinary. Frogs are icky creatures to begin with. I do not want to even taste their meat, even if they say that it tastes like chicken.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Lol @moneymania@moneymania. I am a vegetarian. So this is out of question. However, there are people who eat all kinds of stuff for no good reason.

Being a vegetarian I save lot on food items that aren't the necessity of life and yet live a healthy and a happy life!

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have a saying that if food is considered "exotic" or a "delicacy," it is probably going to be gross. I am a meat and potatoes kinda lady and like normal everyday food. I do have a taste for gourmet food, but things like escargo, caviar, and animals that you can't find at the grocery store...count me out! I just recently got brave enough to try buffalo meat and it was actually good. It took me my whole life to get brave enough to try it out.

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I eat rabbit on a regular basis and I prefer it over chicken because they are not fed with GMO feeds and they are not injected with female hormones. Also I save a lot of money because I just feed them the leaves and weeds growing on my Garden and I make money because I sell their fut on etsy.

I also love Ostrich meat because it tasted like beef minus the hormones and antibiotics.

I love eating Lionfish because eating these invasive fish saves biodiversity in the ocean and it saves multiple coral reefs to kill them.

Goat meat might be expensive in your country but it is very cheap for homesteaders.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady, I don't think I can go vegetarian, I can't bear to part with meat, they taste way to good for me to deprive myself of it. But good for you if you're a vegan, that's good for your health and pocket. I feel that vegetables are way too light on the stomach too, I don't feel full when I eat them.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I once tasted deer meat. That was just fowl and it was so expensive just because we had to have it shipped from somewhere else. The sauce they cooked it in was good but the meat was just horrendous to me. Some people liked it but I'm sure not enough to make up for the price. In most places, pork meat is the cheapest so if you want something good and cheap, just purchase pork. You know it's delicious and trust me when I tell you that what you have available now will almost always taste better than any exotic meats. Just save your pockets.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought expensive meals at so called high class restaurants that I hardly got any satisfaction despite all the money I spent. This does not however rule out the fact some exotic meals are actually sumptuous. Few local non-exotic restaurants around I have visited with just around $2 meal I'm always highly satisfied. In a nutshell whether a food center is named exotic or sells expensive meal do not always mean the food they are superb. In fact I like simple and delicious meal.

9. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like exotic food at all. I have no intention of eating dog, frog or horse meat ever. I find simple meals and more delicious as compared to exotic food. Even when I went abroad, I ate what I usually eat at home. Otherwise I bought bread and butter and made a sandwich and had that.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Do you mean for exotic foods are those expensive foods? Or something which nobody would like to eat for its weird appearance or nobody used to eat them for they may taste bad because of its texture and structure.

This may include and may not limited to snakes, insects, rats, cockroaches, worms. I don't know if I am right of citing these things.

But for me, I may consider an exotic food is "buk-an", when it grows or develops it becomes beetle. It is usually found in the sugarcane plantation. It is very common in our place. When I was a kid together with my peer used to find them inside the field of sugarcane. They usually cling to the leaves of the sugarcane. After we gather enough of them we go home. Our mother cooks them and they taste good. We have learned lately that they are a good source of protein.

11. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I beg to differ, Rabbit> gross disgusting cruelty raised cancerous chicken that can make you grow manboobs due to female hormones injections.

Wild boar> Commercial pork that is raised in cruelty and GMO foods to make them fatter.

12. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the point in eating something that you don't like, particularly if it is expensive. If you're eating it just to show off how wealthy you are and you aren't enjoying it, then it just seems like a waste of money.

There are people who actually enjoy them, for example my husband loves snails which I can't stand, but he only eats them once in a blue moon because of the cost. I'm more a pizza person myself.