Expensive Airport Taxi

Discussion in Travel started by Alexandoy • Feb 2, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We just came back from a vacation in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. When we arrived in the airport, we took the airport taxi because we felt safer that way. There is a booth inside the airport where we paid for a coupon costing RM 45 (about $10). On our way back, the taxi costs only RM 30. When we asked the taxi driver, he said that it is a flat rate of RM 30 whether you are going to coming (airport – city trip). That was also our experience in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam the other year. And then it occurred to me that also here in Manila, the airport taxi is more expensive than the regular taxi.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never ridden any airport taxis so far at any airport in the world but I am sure the airport taxis must be costlier than the regular taxis because I once asked a taxi operator at Delhi airport and the rates were almost 30% higher than the one I had already arranged. I think it is the case in almost every place and I was wondering if they consider passengers traveling by air can afford to pay more.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have taken taxis from various airports and also used pre arranged cabs and so yes, I can definetely say that it is almost the same story everywhere. Airport taxis are much costlier as they know some passengers just can't do without their services and are bound to take them.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have not gone to other countries and haven't used any taxi for that matter. But I had recalled when we were fetching our daughter who was coming home after working abroad. We were in a hurry to fetch her at the airport so take the taxi in going to the airport. Wow, I couldn't believe the high fare for a taxi. We have no other choice. But when we're going home, we took the regular public vehicle in going home and at least we had saved more.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, what I believe is that these taxis are mostly hired by tourists and people having no alternative but lots of monies to spend. Besides what we consider costly is in fact that costly for people coming from developed countries. I find it really hard on my pocket when I have to spend my money in Dollars which looks like almost 3 times as much as I would pay in my own country.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Prices are usually expensive, but I really don't understand the reason (other than the fact that they want to earn a higher percentage in the salary). I know that services are usually better, and cars are more comfortable, but the prices are getting more and more expensive. :(

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have also taken airport taxi and yes they are much more expensive than the regular taxis. When I arrived to this area for the first time my family and I got so many offers from taxi guys to take us to the cities terminal. Good thing we were warn by a family member before hand about the scam taxi drivers who with sometimes charge more than others. Fortunately we were told there was a cheaper transportation near so we luckily took that and saved so much.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It was like a monopoly for them even a few months back. And, they were quite aware of the fact that people do not have a choice but to take one even if it is more expensive.
    Thanks to the introduction Ola and Uber services, the unfair demands have come down. Now, the rate is same irrespective of destination.

9. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Taxis have to buy licenses to be able to pick up from airports in most cases. So you are probably paying for that. The airport taxi rank staff or the airport website will tell you what the actual cost of the taxi is. I travel a lot for work and I always know the correct rate. The driver tries to cheat me maybe one time in 20 on the assumption I am an ignorant tourist in the US (because I have an accent). But when I call them on it they always back down. But some trips are are a lot like airport to suburb which is often 1.5 or 2x tariff because they will not be able to get a return fare.