Expensive coffee vs. generic coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Jun 19, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    There seems to be a battle going on up here in Toronto because if you scour the message boards, and even discuss with people in the office, about Starbucks and Tim Hortons there is always a heated battle. One side (Starbucks) said they rather spend an extra buck or two for great tasting coffee and the other side (Tim Hortons) argues they prefer to spend only $1.25 for a medium coffee that tastes just like any other coffee, which is something I agree with.

What do you prefer? The expensive Starbucks or a place like Tim Hortons?

2. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    If I had to choose, it would be Starbucks because in Malaysia, there isn't Tim Hortons but you can find Starbucks almost everywhere. Now that I live in Cape Town, there is neither Starbucks nor Tim Hortons, but there is Mugg & Bean. Their coffee is pretty good. I was introduced to Hacienda La Esmeralda when I went home to visit my family and friends, and ever since then, I have never had any other type of coffee but HLE.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't drink coffee, but my husband is very particular. Unless he can see a name he knows, he just won't buy it, whether it's when we're on the move, or for use at home. He'll try generic alternatives for most things, but not coffee. I have to admit, I'm the same when it comes to tea. With some things, there is no possible compromise.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to Starbucks for the "awesome" coffee. I personally think the coffee in my local bodega is better (and cheaper), and also, I buy instant espresso from the grocery store that comes out to way cheaper than going out anywhere for coffee. I go to Starbucks because I have a rewards card that gives me free refills, and I will refill if I stay there for long periods of time to use their wifi. I do this fairly often because I have no internet access at home. But truth be told, their coffee is not the best I've ever tasted, and if I weren't getting free refills and wifi, it would hardly be worth the price.

5. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would pay a little more for coffee that I genuinely think tastes better, but not usually at a coffee shop. At work I get coffee free, and while it tastes much worse than the Starbucks on the corner, free beats Starbucks for me.

When I'm buying coffee to make at home though, in a fairly large quantity, and this will make several cups of coffee for me, I will gladly pay a bit more for what I think tastes the best. I personally am not the biggest fan of Starbucks, but I often buy Peet's coffee rather than something cheaper and that is worth it to me.

6. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Honestly I get what I take, if I come across a Star Bucks and I have money in my pocket, sure I'll go ahead and buy myself a nice cold frappuccino! If I'm not feeling up to going around outside the house, I'll just make myself something at home, a nice cheaper alternative to a 5 dollars a cup thing.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy generic. Even my "cheap" coffee is namebrand, because everyone deserves one perk that isn't compromised except in emergencies. Coffee is my one perk and I only want the best.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried generic coffee. I have also tried lesser-known brands but in the end I still buy Nescafe. It costs a bit more but it's worth the extra price. If I want to economize, I can always make a smaller cup.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get my coffee fix taken care of at home. We are Folger's fans and that is definately cheaper than either Starbucks or Tim Hortons! I have only found one generic brand that comes close to Folgers so I do get that kind when I can. It is about half the cost and tastes the same.

10. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    My partner isn't particular when it comes to coffee but he can appreciate a good cup of coffee like HLE or other high-end brands. I admit that people should have, at least, one thing that they do not compromise when it comes to taste/quality. Most of the time, it's food/beverages for me.

Gosh, I love Nescafé! Growing up, it was either Nescafé or ILLY coffee in the house. I love Nescafé with condensed milk :D Unhealthy but oh so good! Over here, they use fresh milk (hot or cold) but Nescafé just doesn't taste the same :D

11. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I only purchase from a Starbucks if I am stopping with friends for a refreshment and Starbucks seems to be what the majority decides on. Personally, I think it is a little over priced and I definitely prefer to have 67 more cups of coffee for $7 from a tin you purchase at the store and make at home than just have 1 coffee for the same $7 that just so happens to be made with whipped cream on it.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not really like coffee but a really good coffee I can appreciate. I do not think that Starbucks has such great coffee actually but they do have a warm comfortable ambiance which is appreciated. Where I am now, I love going to a place called La Vida Cafe and their coffee tastes amazing plus you get a free little Lindt dark chocolate plus delicious French cakes/tarts.

Now, for tea...I will not compromise.

13. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the next time you come back, we can both sit by the roadside at the mamak stall and have Nescafe with roti canai. Wouldn't that be lovely? Do you like your Nescafe hot or cold? If you want really strong, sweet and milky Nescafe, you have got to try what they serve in Thailand.

14. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Well I will be honest with you. I would just as soon get a cup of coffee from a fast food joint. There does not seem to be much of any difference anyway. Normally I just get my coffee from a jar, cheapskate that I am. The cheapest brand is what I look for. The taste does not matter much, just the therapeutic effects if you know what I mean.

15. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Oh we have La Vida Café here too! I love the coffee and the hot mocha. They serve it with Lindt chocolate, yes! I had the best double chocolate fudge cupcake from La Vida Café - amazing!

Oh I love hot and cold. Nescafé tarik is one of the best beverages too :D Sure, we can do that but being back in Malaysia, I think I'll have a glass of cold Nescafé with roti canai banjir :D. People raved about Neslo, somehow I don't like it.

16. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    My friends enjoy coffee from McDonald's, I haven't tried it but they said it's very nice.

17. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried that coffee from McDonals and it's a strong one. I think it is really brewed coffee and it isn't my taste because I love sweet coffees. I tried to put creamer on it but it could not neutralized it.

18. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't often buy coffee out, I usually brew my own. I am not too picky, but I do prefer certain places for a cup. The places I prefer happen to be cheaper then Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts so it works out well. I prefer Wawa :)

When it comes to brewing coffee, there are some cheaper brands that are just as good as the expensive ones.

19. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I read online that Luwak Coffee is the most expensive coffee in the world. It's from Indonesia - I have yet to try it but when I read how the coffee came about.. I don't think I ever will... :D I think it's a mind over matter thing, but still.. argh.

Ah, that must be the reason why they like it so much. My friends love strong coffee, I do too but most of the time, I prefer sweeter ones. If it's too strong, I'll end up with a headache :( But, I will try it, one of these days, as I'm curious :D

#19Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We have a La Vida Cafe at one of our malls as well. Next time you visit them try their Lindt Hot Chocolate.....it is so yummy!!:D