Expensive Commercial Software

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Denis Hard • Oct 10, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One thing I never can understand is why some people opt to pay for software when there are many free alternatives on the net which are as good [and at times] even better.

What do you guys think is so great about such software that compels some folks to fork out cash even though the software is no better than opensource software they could have used free? Is it hype? Great marketing? The belief that free stuff isn't all that good? Huh?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't bought any commercial software that was something I felt was a bit generic or if I felt there was a free or open source version I could get instead. The ones I pay for are usually very unique in their abilities such as photo editing or music editing software that I know is available in other forms that may even be free but for the most part the paid version that I eventually get, I feel, is worth the cost because of the ease of use and versatility. I have used the free versions of these softwares before and they are good enough for basic use but I feel they lack a bit when it comes to advanced tools.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people don't have to worry about money, so they just go with the expensive commercial software, never really having to consider alternatives. Other people only really trusts the expensive commercial ones, as apposed to the lesser or lesser known alternatives.

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Microsoft will sell any kind of gimmicky glorified software under the excuse of user-friendly and other stuff to avert the casual user's eyes from cheaper or free alternatives. Like Microsoft Office, with Chrome Apps google docs most people have more than enough.

Now, in regards of professional tools, such as Matlab, PSCAD and another software which provides a programming language to perform all your algorythms and needs. Indeed, those are rather expensive, but is software for niche purposes related to industrial and research applications. They are not meant for leisure, and therefore the demand for these kind of software is not high.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Well, looking at forum software as an example, one can see that premium stuff keeps spam out and also has added bells and whistles. Nonetheless, you can get the same thing from free software, but your going to have to put in some extra work. Note, If you feel the extra work is worth the time, then you might be the type that would consider free software.

Note this analogy would apply to a lot of free software packages.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well if this is the headline for anything, I would think that a good place to start would be looking for cheaper alternatives. The good news is that often times a simple search can lead you into some nice directions in terms of getting a better value for your dollar.