Expensive gym & Cheap gym

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by rossonomous • Apr 9, 2014.

1. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Imagine that you have a gym round the corner that costs 50$ a month but it is high quality and not that busy, even at peak times.
    Now imagine you have a gym round the other corner that is 30$ a month but is always busy and the quality is mediocre.

Which gym would you choose and why?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Paying $20 for quality is not something bad. You can simply spend that amount of money and get quality services. Sometimes you just have to make sure that you get the value of your money. But also with $30 a month you should get a good gym with all the facilities. Am sure you can shop around around town before you decide which once will best suit you.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    If I really had it in my budget, I would pay for the more expensive gym. Currently, we have a very small gym with out apartment that is never busy, so that is where I go - plus I already pay for it with my rent. I think paying for extra perks can be worth it.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    If it was one thing or the other, and you are only compromising in one area, either quality wise or crowd wise. I would say to go with the $30 a month one. But if since are two different areas in which the $50 gym is better, maybe the $20 difference would worth the benefits you'd be getting at the $50 gym. Plus, time is money. Will you be able to shave a significant amount of time off your workout going to the crowdless gym. The time you're saving on your workout alone could be worth the $20 extra. You really need to weigh out (no pun intended) the pros and cons.

5. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I would no doubt pay the extra 20 dollars per month for the simple fact that it is not as busy during peak hours. If there is one thing I HATE it is when I am trying to workout in a crowded gym. I like to do supersets and I can't really do that when the gym is crowded.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At that price, I definitely choose the $50 one! Where I live gyms can get to 200 or more depending on which one it is. As there is no way I can pay that much, but I still don't like mediocre gyms that are always full, I try to find a balance and choose a happy medium. Therefore, I do my best to find gyms that have a decent price but are still as good quality as possible.

7. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what they have in the Gym.

You get a chance to survey the Gyms inventory of machines, and equipment before you sign up. So, it should be easy to figure out if the Gym is worth joining. If a cheap Gym has all of the equipment that i need, to get the results that want. Why not join?

On the flip side. Expensive gyms always have good equipment.

#7Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I have a really, really tight budget these days...as much as it pains me to say so I'd probably have to go with the cheaper, busier option. (Thank god I have a free gym in my apartment that has it's on and off busy hours, eh?) However, it can be just as effective to workout on your own without ever going to a gym for some goals...and I'd have to factor that option in, as well.

9. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I can understand that.

That the economy is horrible. The majority of people can't even afford to pay their bills. Let alone buy a gym membership. For those people i would recommend free alternatives. Such as the YMCA, or the local recreation center. They usually have free workout equipment in the gym area.

I know a lot of people who work out that way. The only downside to that, is that they usually close at 6pm.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the extra cost would be worth it especially if you are sure you'll get a lot of use out of it. I think it's a fair trade and I would say that both are equally good options which is more than I can say for many other comparisons where the more expensive choice doesn't seem to give that much of an advantage in return to make it seem worth the extra cost. If it were me I would definitely choose the more expensive one if I thought I could afford it but if not then I'd be okay with the cheaper one too and I'll just work around the disadvantages.

11. nicksab

nicksabNew Member

Threads:
    This scenario is great and highlights the importance of comfort that an individual should feel when choosing a gym. Whether that be financial of spacial comfort the individual really needs to focus on finding a gym that will help with their stress levels. I have found that sometimes paying more can cause stress financially but not nearly enough stress as working out in an environment that is unfit for relaxation and could also cost you with the waste of your own time by waiting for others to finish using the equipment.

The expensive choice is not that much more and seems to afford you the luxuries of better equipment as well as more time to focus on your own workouts.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I would choose the cheaper gym, but I won't pay for a whole month subscription. Over here there is a gym where you can use it for as long as you like for a little over $1, so that's what I'm gonna choose. I would just come and go there as I please without paying for a monthly subscription.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My high school chum is a manager of a gym in an upscale mall. She said that it is better to get a membership from them than in cheap gyms. The difference is not only the facilities but also the professionalism of the staff. Their personal trainers are fully trained with scientific methods unlike the small gyms where you will just get fatigue from the physical exertions but not knowing which muscle is being developed. Besides, expensive gym like theirs have a dietary recommendation so you are not left to your own devices when it comes to food.

I am not a gym habitue and I don't intend to enlist in a gym but I can say that an expensive gym is probably a good choice.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you could save even more money by foregoing gym membership. You can work out at home and still be as fit as someone who is in the gym every day.

If you must get gym membership then I suppose you need to choose the better gym. Find out from those who actually have been there. It's the best way to tell if your money will be well-spent.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what motivates you. Some people may prefer the cheaper crowded gym because it may provide more intensity or greater vibes than the expensive gym which may spur them on to participate at a higher level.These factors, and not price alone, maybe some of the reasons that a larger number of folks may gravitate towards the crowded gym. There may be a number of persons who may prefer the there quieter and more expensive location. However, for others, it's just like how many athletes need the crowd support to boost their performance, some gym subscribers may need the intense engagement.

16. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I would choose the more expensive one. The price difference isn't that much anyway and there's nothing I hate more than gyms than are overcrowded. And oh, gyms that don't maintain their equipments. We have this little gym here in our village that we used to go to.

We did that despite the rusty equipment and unmaintained bathrooms and floors. We weren't able to stick to it for long because it's just not worth the effort even though we're paying so little for it.

At least, with more expensive gyms, as long as they deliver, why not? They don't have to be high end or luxury ones. Just gyms that have a higher price but has AC, it's clean and the equipments are safe to handle. I also like gyms that aren't in malls because these tend to be jam-packed with people.