Expensive Head Phones or Cheap Ones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by kingusama92 • May 12, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of the time, I tend to buy cheaper head phones, just because I don't really care for the difference.

However, I know numerous people who are serious about their music. They listen to each note intently and can notice differences of quality in a hurry.

Are you one of those people or like me and purchase cheap head phones?

Any specific brands for those that go for the higher quality stuff?

2. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy the slightly expensive ones from Apple mainly because they are way more durable than the cheap ones we have here. The last one I bought from them, which is a simple pair of white earphones, has lasted me 9 months. The cheap ones usually only last me a month. And I'm not exactly the "mild-mannered" type that takes care in these things. I just pull on them from my bag and such.

3. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Cheap ones.They can break after a month or so but it's easier to go out and buy an inexpensive pair over again multiple times then trying to replace a very expensive pair.

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    You can get the exact same APPLE Brand headphones at AccessoryGeeks for $9.99

They have a lot of things for really cheap, and NO delivery fee. I get my replacements there all the time. At these prices, I can also afford backups!

5. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    My daughter used to go through the inexpensive ear buds like they were, well, inexpensive. I checked out earphone reviews on CNet and got her a pair of Korr Porta Pro headphones on Amazon. They were between 30 and 40 dollars. She has had them for more than a year and really likes them.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I just like using a pair that has good and balanced sound coming out of them. I am not a brand whore so I do not really care about kind...but I do like it to work and fit really well.

So, a good quality headphones are quite important to me, not necessarily the most expensive pair. I have my pair for over a year now and I am still happy with it (and I use it daily).

7. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I'm a bit of an audiophile so I tend to go for the more refined headphones. Ever since I got my V-moda earphones, most other low-end earphones just don't seem to cut it. There are probably a better pair out there but until I can pony up the dough, I'm gladly stuck with my Remix in-ears.

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a radio dj, I took a lot of time to choose my headphones. I didn't buy the most expensive ones, though. At that time, I was running a radio program that played only dance music so I got a pair of headphones which had very good bass. If I remember rightly, the brand was Aiwa.

Now, I just listen to music while I work, so I buy some cheap no-name headphones that can produce sound without distortion.

9. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am not really strict to brands of headphones. Usually I just use my smart phone to listen to music so I use earphones more than headphones. I only bought one headphones this year and it is Beats and the sound quality is really good. I seldom use it really that's why I an say that it will last for more than a year maybe.

10. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    Go for the reputable brands. Not necessarily the most expensive one. Companies often inflate the prices of their headphones and make good use of marketing tactics to make their product look better than it actually it. Beats headphones is an excellent product but to me, it is definitely overpriced. I wouldn't want to spend such a huge sum of money on headphones. There are many other things you can choose to buy.

11. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I rather get ones that are worth the price if I'm looking for good sound quality. I bought a pair of Philips ones a couple of years ago. Spent about $50, but I still have them, and they work GREAT. They can go pretty loud.

12. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    depends i would rather buy one expensive headset rather than buying several in a short span of time. It would actually be more economical that way.

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I go for quality, so I may pay a price that someone would find expensive, but the next person is like, "that's nothing." I love a good, rich sound and will go through a couple of companies to find what I like and then stick with them. At that point, I then look for the best place to purchase them from.

14. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    Hi Kingusama,

I usually buy whatever is affordable for me at the time. I prefer to use high quality head phones simply because I have a passion for music (I make and record my own music) and it's imperative to be able to hear everything in the song to get the best recording. However, if I can't have the ones I want (like the Dr. Dre headphones) I will usually settle for whatever is second-best or whatever works at the time. It's sad, I know, but things are so expensive these days it's difficult to decide to invest in something when something better is going to come out in the next couple of months or years.

15. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like the expensive headphones, because you don't have to keep wasting money buying new ones. If you keep buying cheap headphones, they will break and it's a never ending cycle. You will waste more money, than if you just bought one pair of expensive headphones. The cheap ones are good if you can't afford anything else at the moment.

16. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's worth investing in better ones. For example, the Bose noise canceling headphones are far superior to most of their counterparts. I had the Sony version and recently upgraded to the Bose. They seem over priced, but they really work and sound great.

17. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly. I don't people even realize that they've spent the same amount of money, but wasted that much more time by purchasing cheap items and finding themselves replacing it over and over.

18. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    For years I bought cheap headphones and earbuds and as soon as they broke, I would buy another pair. I finally realized that if I bought one good pair, they would last.

19. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, I can care less about my headphones. But those that are hard into them swear by Beats by Dre, Turtle Beach, and Bose.

20. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have heard many people make purchases with Beats by Dr. Dre.

I think it is a waste of money. The wire is still quite thin and it seems like it would easily tear. I am not exactly the kind of person who is gentle with their headphones, so I prefer the cheaper ones.

Although, I have heard the quality on some of the really expensive headphones and they are unbelievable. You can hear every note crisply.