Expensive = Quality?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Sep 16, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are all expensive devices, quality devices? In most cases they, are otherwise the company making the devices would lose customers pretty fast. However that doesn't necessarily mean cheaper devices aren't that good. I've seen some cheap phones and tablets which are as good as those made by Samsung for example but cost half the price.

Do you ever try to find out if cheaper devices made by other companies are just as good?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think both with cheap and expensive devices, there are bound to be ones that are exceptional and ones that won't live up to what you expect. I've found many cheap items that I can't complain about and I've bought a lot of expensive items that have brought me nothing but stress. I think the price is not a good indicator and it's probably better to go with a brand you trust regardless of whether that brand is cheap or expensive.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if the product is a low end brand but with many store branches then I think they are of decent quality. Over here Cherry Mobile and Arc Mobile seem to be a good low end brand. There are fake Samsung and iPhones though and I think those are the type with cheap quality.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Price is not a good judge of quality. I prefer to go by brand name and reputation of the manufacture than the price of the item. Often brands make the same product with a different name and offer it at a less expensive price.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see a huge difference in quality now vs "back in the day". It's subjective I guess, because something you may find "quality" right now, I would be comparing to how it would have been made years ago and it wouldn't compare. Things were made to last.. that's how customers were kept. Things have changed and I don't see a massive difference between products anymore. Depends on the item I suppose, but unless you have a crap ton of money to throw down on whatever fad of the moment (not even then, usually), it's all cheap to me.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Not necessarily all the time. But yes, mostly expensive means quality products. There are some exceptions to the rule. Like my mom's Samsung phone cannot connect to wifi, after just weeks of buying it. It has to be returned and repaired by Samsung repair center itself. Then, there's my Samsung tablet, still working after three years. No problem at all. Same brand, different situations.

7. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    No, not really. I once bought an Apple iPod Nano 6th Gen and it cost like $200 or something and after a month of use, the thing broke. I always thought Apple products are of high quality since they cost so much money but this one, not so much. I sent it back to Apple and they repaired and low and behold it broke again after 3 weeks.

As for cheap devices, well I'm pretty iffy although I once bought a really cheap Android phone and it was made by some obscure Chinese sounding company and it cost me $100 roughly. At first I never really thought it would last that long since I'm pretty abusive when it comes to my devices but this particular phone lasted me over 2 years before I switched. But I think most expensive products are often high quality, most of the time at least.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with @DrRipley@DrRipley on this. I've bought some high end products that have been a real disappointment, and then sometimes when I will buy something really inexpensive, thinking it will be just an interim product until I can afford something better, it will surprise me, and I'll turn out to be quite impressed and happy with the purchase. I do tend to rely on brands that have proven themselves to me, and I'm happy to talk about my satisfaction on social media, so others can also enjoy the good quality.

Although price can in some cases can indicate better ingredients or components, that's not always the case, so I'd rather compare specifications, read reviews, and lean towards known quantities, rather than spending a lot of my hard earned money on an unknown entity.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I am not sure about just as good, but for instance, I have a cheap tracphone that cost me about 5 bucks. I used to have a mega expensive Verizon phone. My tracphone was dropped in water, and still worked fine. The Verizon phone was dead after immersion in water,,,so I can only conclude that the tracphone was made to be more durable.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In many cases, the price of things are much too steep for my liking. I feel like if I am going to pay so much for a device or item, then it better not be as susceptible to breakage or malfunction as the cheaper items on the market. But if you drop a $400 smartphone a certain way, it will still break, just as the cheaper one would. That's not good enough for me, if I am paying that kind of money for something. If I pay a lot of money for something, I like for it to last. I also feel like they are purposely making a lot of technological devices to last a shorter length of times these days, so that they can make more money in the long run.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I too would agree - that although price does sometimes mean better quality as well as better value - it isn't necessarily a good indicator to go by when looking for quality and durability - nor is the name of the manufacturer either - particularly as I've found that all manufacturers regardless of whether they are a well known brand name or not - all have some very good models as well as some extremely bad ones.

Which is why - like Diane Lane has already mentioned - I think in order to make sure that you get the best value for money - its always wise to do plenty of research, compare specifications of a product and read as many reviews as possible prior to parting with any money.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I hate to admit it but most of the time it's true. Most expensive products are almost always the best in terms of quality. Although it's not to say that cheap things are not, it's just apparent that most of time, those cheap products that you buy are often the first ones to go. Also you have to consider the quality of the overall 'experience' you had with the product.

Although that doesn't apply to all types of products though, like for example medicine. Some drugs are more expensive than others and yet they deliver pretty much the same result.

13. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    Not all but most of them, at least that's how I experienced it. Although I'm considered as pretty stingy when it comes to almost everything that involves my hard earned money, I never hold back when it comes to appliances and electronics since I consider them as an investment. If an item is expensive and it looks and feels like it should be then I pretty much put my trust on it and almost all the time I'm right..

Although that's not to say cheap products are crappy 100% of the time, of course there are some exceptions but you have to take into consideration that price is the basis of quality. It's just that sometimes the consumers are very gentle when it comes to handling the products they purchased so they end up lasting longer that the price tag suggests and I'm pretty sure even the most durable, most expensive phone would break in two when handled carelessly.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's exactly it. Once upon a time, products were made for the customer.. the bottom line was still there of course, but people felt to get there you had to make the customer happy. Now it's all just competition and creating a NEED for the customer to come back. Normally we would all go to the competition, but since the they all do it, it's just a matter of picking the lesser of the evils I suppose.

15. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    If I know why a product is more expensive, then, yeah, I'll go for something that costs a bit more, as long as the reason is good. It's the same as discovering why something is so cheap. That's why it always pays to do a bit of research before making a purchase. There's no excuse not to, really, as just about every product under the sun will have at least a small review online, if not many.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. My mother used to have a washing machine. That lasted over twenty years, before finally giving up. Buy a washing machine these days, and you are lucky if they last five years, and even if it does last that long, those five years usually are not without problems, and having to call engineers out to fix it. I also hate when they tell you that certain parts for your device have been discontinued.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly. It's so frustrating. When we finally gave in and went for the new generation of televisions, we regretted it soooo much lol. They may take up less space, but they're toys! I had the same tv for most of my life lol.. the new big ass expensive one that my husband and kids had to have went less than a year before we needed to call someone out to fix it. The other tvs in the house lasted just a tad longer.. but none reached two years without showing at least one issue. Same with everything these days.. that's why it's hard for me to answer in this thread. "Expensive or low quality" these days is confusing lol. But I guess if you were born into today's quality, it makes more sense.

18. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    It depends. If the price is too good to be true then the quality is going to be awful. But sometimes the most expensive electronic is priced that way because of its brand. Apple for example creates quality products but they are much more expensive than their counterparts, although quality wise they're probably indistinguishable. You are just paying for the brand and for the design.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think expensive things having more quality in any category, be it clothing, appliances, beauty products. With that said, I would say in electronics the chances of the expensive being better quality are better than at other categories. For example, Apple is more expensive but knowingly great quality. If you get a no name brand phone, there are pretty high chances it is not good.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Most of the time, the only thing that people are paying more of their money for is the brand, and the status that comes along with being able to own that brand. But as far as product quality goes, sometimes that doesn't even come into play. Though that is not to say that different brands do not provide different quality products.