Expensive to travel by plane or train

Discussion in Travel started by kad613 • Jun 8, 2013.

1. kad613

kad613New Member

Threads:
    My son wanted to travel to Toronto by train or plane. It's 4 hours away from Ottawa and he was hoping to avoid driving but it looks like that is the best mode of travel when on a student budget. For a 1 hour flight round trip it would cost $500 and for the train $400. Added to the cost of hotel and sites they want to visit, it would have been too much to pay. It would cost $120 by car which is the mode of transportation they are going to use. It's too bad that the closer to home trips are so overpriced.

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I think you're most likely to end up paying just the same whether by plane or by train. I would suggest to just take the plane because at least it's faster.

3. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    Tell me about it. It's such a chore to carefully plan your mode of transport when wanting to go on a care-free vacation. Where I'm from, (Malaysia) even travelling around to well-known tourist sites and our islands burns a deep hole in our wallets. Flight tickets cost more than accommodation! To think that a vacation is for you to relax, you end up with a headache sorting out your budget.

4. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    I'm slightly stunned by those prices as in the UK we have a hat full of cheap airlines who do domestic flights for around £50 return anywhere. Admittedly, we are nowhere near the size of Canada/The US/Malaysian archipelago but all the same I'm surprised the air fares are so expensive.

5. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I think in the case of your son it is better for him to travel by plane. The cost is almost the same. It would be more convenient and faster at the same time. I notice that most of the time when I do out of state travel it is cheaper if I use train. There are times that I can also get seat fare promo and the price is almost the same with the train, but it is not always the case. Sometimes it is better if you will get plane ticket ahead of time. It is cheaper. I'm just sharing, but I experienced that the local flights in Europe is cheaper compare to the train. I'm not from Europe though, but for the couple of times I been there, I always use plane when I go to other places. It is less expensive and more convenient.

#5Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  6. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with this, I live in the Republic Of Ireland and its more expensive to holiday in our own country than it is to go abroad to somewhere like Spain. We wanted to go down to Cork in Summer but just for the hotel is was going to cost us 600 :D. We ended up going to Ibiza and only paid 25 Euro's more. I don't understand it to be honest.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I can definitely sympathize there....the cost of travel is getting out of hands these days. It would be nice if at least one of those options were a little more economical, but driving works when you get right down to it.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Here is a bit of advice from myself, only travel by plane when you go overseas, by train if the place is a two or more states away, or drive by car if it is in the same state or one state away.

9. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    The train is less expensive as compare to plane but if you want to be comfortable during the travelling than a plane and if you want to enjoy the travelling then train is best its up to you that what you want to do..

10. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I definitely wouldn't go by plane, not because its not faster but first of all its expensive as hell and second of all I'm kind of scared from all the things that have been happening lately involving planes, including disppearances, crashes, the fact that you can contract deadly diseases because it is an international form of transportation and you can get any number of airborne diseases nowadays. Maybe I am just paranoid, and its really not that likely that any of those happen, after all people travel by plane daily but still, the posibility has me not wanting to use that kind of transportation, at least for the time being.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say plane is the cheapest mode of transport domestically. I got a return flight for £69 from Birmingham to Edinburgh. The trains would be have been well over £100 return, and driving probably as expensive as trains when factoring in fuel.

12. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    Traveling by train or plane totally depends on your budget and your convenience.

13. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    $400 by train? That is really expensive, because as far as I know train tickets are usually reasonably priced. I guess the best option in some cases is the good ol car then!

14. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    It's crazy how expensive it is to travel today. My boyfriend is from CT and I live in VT and I take the train when I go down and see him. Now, when I do go it's a long train ride. It's about 6 hours to get there. The ticket is also $112, but it would be cheaper to go by car. I don't because going back and forth with the car all the time isn't good for a car. I wish that it was a little cheaper, but it is what it is. Train is usually the cheapest though.