Expensive Utensils...why? Always The Cheapest For Me

Discussion in Product Reviews started by hades_leae • Jul 27, 2016.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the cheapest flatware that I could find in the stores until I found that I could find better quality flatware at flea markets, estates sales, auctions and thrift stores. I was tickled to find a complete set of stainless steel flatware which included the hostess set all for $20 at the flea market but I passed it up because I didn't really need or want a hostess set.

To me it's a no brainer when it comes to saving more than just a few dollars on kitchen items by going to such places. Being cheap is not my middle name but it does keep more dough in my pocket. :)

2. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I think IKEA is a great source for new flatware that feels a lot nicer than one would expect for the price. Being IKEA, they have mostly modern/trendy designs. For something more traditional I agree with MrsJones' post above, and would add that people often sell flatware and china on Craigslist for good prices.

3. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcanoNew Member

Threads:
    Most of them are only expensive not because they're built with better quality materials but because of the brand, very few of the most expensive equipment are actually better quality and most are just the same quality as the cheaper ones and only because they put a brand on it then they charge more. But I don't get it why people prefer expensive equipment over cheaper one if they're the same quality.

4. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    Be careful with cheap knives. My grandma bought a set of cheap steak knives and the handle broke while she was using it. It almost cut off her thumb, and she was left with a deep gash in her palm for a couple months. Good cook wear is expensive because it's meant to last you a lifetime. I inherited a dutch oven from my great grandma that she got when she got married. There is no real substitute for a well made pot. But silverware and bowls can be cheap until you decide you want something more expensive because you only eat in them, they don't suffer being heated and cooled repeatedly.

5. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I'm guessing it's because of the durability. Aside from the brand of course, durability is the other reason why products cost much. I tried buying cheap silverware and end up seeing them bent or broken. While buying ones that cost a bit more are more durable. The ones with the big brand names cost a fortune, but I'm guessing they really are durable too.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Some utensils wear out with heat or low temperatures. Some cheap spoons, forks or knives claim to be stainless steel but they still do rust sometimes. I usually buy the second cheapest brand so usually in the middle and they usually turn out okay.

About knives, a lot of cheap knives I've purchased have a weak handle. They break off way too easily.

7. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I buy only the items I think is reliable. Always check to see if there are local manufacturers you can visit to buy these utensils. If you're like me, I like to roam around the places nearby to look something new, affordable, and reliable. Sometimes, locally made items last longer than those items manufactured outside the country and they also cost less.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    When I buy utensils or anything, the first thing I consider is quality. If the quality products come in cheap price, its ok for me, if it is expensive and I can afford it I will get it. The next thing is the look of the items, for me the thing I am buying should look very good. Appearance matters for me. Price is always on the bottom.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with @Vinaya@Vinaya on this one, and I always look for the quality first rather than the price. While I'm not going to buy the most expensive item for no reason, I think that if you buy the cheapest they don't tend to last very long and so you just end up buying the item more often and so buying cheap is just false economy.

I've had kitchen knives and cutlery for example for a number of years as I've made sure they can withstand the job that they are supposed to do as in the past I've gone for the cheaper options and ended up having to buy the same again after only a couple of months.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Most of those cheap spoons are made of weaker materials. I used them before if you put them under pressure maybe just try using them turn turn thick heavy meal they'll likely bend and could break. Anyway, I think $1 is a big sum that should fetch a strong and durable spoon.

11. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the expensive purchases that people make are not necessarily based on usability or functionality, they are based on the perception that this equals prestige if money is not a mitigating factor, it is a class thing. The same thing relates to jewellery. Most of the so called gold plated items only have a thin layer of gold on the surface. Beneath this is some cheap metal.

12. Working Buck

Threads:
    Though a lot of utensils cost less and do not have the quality we are after, there are still some of these low cost with great quality. Like you, I do like roaming around street corners looking for a bargain but has good quality. My wife also shops for hours checking every item there is and looking for the cheapest but with good quality possible.

13. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    That's how business minded men think. This has been a plan of mine ever since. If other countries can do it why can't we? My dreams for the future is to make a new Alibaba but with better services and products. I'm sure, with how our countrymen dedicate their life working we can match the products in other countries better. It's just a matter of time.

14. Working Buck

Threads:
    I absolutely agree, a lot of people get to do jobs and are underpaid, but they do their jobs well, resulting to low cost of the product. Having such talented people in your manufacturing team can match low cost products from china and beat them in terms of quality aside from cheap price.

15. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I can never understand why I would pay 10 times as much for a spoon. It just doesn't make sense to me. I will be cheap when buying utensils because currently I'm the only one using them anyway. I have no one to impress and not many people can tell the difference between a $1 fork and a $15 one.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree that it's because of the brand and the material used. You always get what you pay for, so obviously the more expensive the price, the better quality it has. We have a set of Corelle plates and mugs that are around $100+ and it seems to have good quality, even if the mugs were made in China only and the plates were made in the US.