Extended Warranties

Discussion in Misc & Others started by thisnthat • Jul 11, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy extended warranties on appliances and such? I was just talking about this in another thread, because I've been wading through warranties while on the path to finding a new washer. Like I said earlier, it seems like a rip off to have to pay more money just to get them to back their own products. I'm curious as to other's opinions.

When the regular (free) warranty is lame and you can only get one that is close to being useful by paying more, it makes me wonder if the product is sub par. A good quality appliance or other item should have a reasonable warranty to begin with, shouldn't it?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought our refrigerator some 5 years ago, we were surprised when the store attendant offered us an extended warranty. For an additional amount, the 1-year warranty would be extended to 3 years. It’s a good idea, just like an insurance, but come to think of it, appliances should be durable to last for years and years so what the heck with that extended warranty? No, we didn’t fall for that because buying a good brand is already the warranty in itself. And I was right.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, @Alexandoy@Alexandoy. It is a lot like buying insurance. I don't think we should have to do that though, since I think they should stand behind what they sell. If the item is only good for between one and three years (based on the length of many warranties) then I'm going to look for something else. That's especially true if I have to pay extra just to make sure I can use it for a full three years.

I know that's not exactly how it goes, but it makes you think that products aren't really designed to be reliable for very long.

In some cases, brands matter. In other cases, it's not like it used to be. You might be surprised to learn that certain brands have bought out others and now make the products, but still use the original brand name on them. For years, Maytag was considered a really good brand. From what I've been reading, Amana (which was considered inferior) started to make some of their products. Now, it looks like Whirlpool makes them (and several others), so it's really hard to choose by brand name alone these days.

Along with price and quality materials and reviews, I look at the standard (free) warranty. The one that gives the longest and most substantial warranty without charging extra is usually going to get my vote.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Well one year is reasonable enough, and the items that we have bought definitely lasted for over a year without any problems, so I think I wouldn't be shelling out more cash so that I can get that extended warranty. If the product malfuntions in a year and I did not cause it, then I won't buy that particular brand again.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, everyone has to decide what they think is acceptable. I don't think one year is, when it comes to major appliances. They cost a lot of money, and they should be reliable, if you ask me. I need things like a washer and dryer to last far longer than that. I can't just go out and buy a new washer every year. ;)

Sure, you can avoid that brand in the future if it fails, but you're still out the money you spent. If it's a big ticket item, you could be out a lot of money.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have only bought the extended warranty once and the product that I bought it for waited to break down after that was up anyway, so I basically wasted my money on it. I do not buy them anymore and feel that it is just another way for these companies to take advantage of customers. It is all about making another dollar, but they like to make it seem like you are doing something smart and you are going to save money if it breaks down after the regular warranty is up.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I am very against these mainly because of bad experiences. I have bought them on cars, washing machines and vacuum cleaners and every one of them will refuse the free repair because they say the problems are down to 'wear and tear'. For this very reason I don't buy them any more because most of the problems that occur with a car or an appliance are down to wear and tear.