Extravagance When Shopping

Discussion in Misc & Others started by johndee • Jul 2, 2016.

1. johndee

johndeeMember

Threads:
    When I have free time, the first thing that comes to my mind is going shopping. When it all began, it used to be a very costly exercise because of impulse buying.

I still go shopping on my free time but my strategy has since changed. I first list down what I would like to buy then tick the essentials. The things I do really need.

I consider those that doesn't qualify a tick to be wants I can do without, at least for now. This has helped me save a lot and meet most of my needs. How do you deal with shopping extravagance?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be a huge impulse buyer and would sometimes go clothes shopping on a whim. That was when money wasn't an object LOL But when money's tight like now, you start to have priorities and right now impulse buying is the least of my worries. Clothes shopping is at the very bottom of the list, sadly. All I'm focusing on right now is getting back on my feet, paying rent and getting food on the table. I must say though, I look forward to a time when I'll have more disposable cash so I can indulge once in a while without counting every single penny. Obviously not going OTT.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a calculated shopper with my list all the time. However, I sometimes go on a binge especially when someone would invite me. I usually become extravagant when my nephew and nieces are with me with my shopping because I have the tendency to spoil them by my generosity. There was a time that I overspent and had to pay the purchases of my credit card for 3 months. And that's a fairly good lesson to me. Now, I still go on a binge sometimes but I already have a menu on what to buy for the children.

4. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    For me shopping is very therapeutic activity. If I have time I will stroll on the marketplace of visit super market. If I don't have time, I check online store. Even though I enjoy shopping, I never buy things that I don't want. I don't spend lot of money on the items. I am never extravagant when it comes to buy things.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could also trying cutting the number of times you shop per week or month. There's no better way to fight the temptation to buy something you don't need than by actually not going shopping. If you buy what you need once or week or once every two weeks, you'll be spending less money on impulse purchases.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    In the past, I would usually spend more than I had planned to whenever I went shopping. I would just pick up stuff which sometimes I could have done without at the time. Nowadays, however, I am being more prudent and I mostly stick to my planned requirements whenever I go shopping. I find that sticking to my budget allows me to save a bit more of to have money to spend on something that is really essential.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always prepare a list of the items that I will buy so that I won't overspend. I also don't bring that much cash so that I won't have enough to spend on luxury items or treats when the essentials have been bought.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    One good idea is to put a lot of your money on cards to keep you from wasting it. For instance, you could put a load of money on a grocery store and gasoline card. Of course, it's not fun to do it, but you will be glad later. However, though, you don't want to put too much on the cards - cause we all like to have a little fun sometimes. :)

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd always buy what I need only. When you become older you realize accumulation is not all that great. We've moved more than once and it's a very big thing when you've got so much things to carry with you. You've got to pack and unpack all your belongings, so from this experience, I'd suggest, buy what you need and have space which makes it easier to clean your home. Not everything is able to be resold too. Buy what you need so you'll have a lot more money on hand, you'll have space in your home and you'll always have what you need at hand.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, impulse buying can ruin your finances. It happens to many people I know. Even my wife sometimes succumbs to impulse buying and it’s fortunate if I was with her. But there are times she will come home from work with a cake. One of her colleagues treated them to a birthday blowout in a classy restaurant where the cake is good so she bought one. It usually happens but I’m glad that she doesn’t buy on impulse big things like furnitures or appliances.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Impulse buying is a problem for people who aren't cheap and like to have nice things or good food. Even buying a pet can be under impulse buying. I don't need another pet, but I get tempted to buy one when I see a cute cat being sold. Good thing I never have enough cash when those incidents happen. I guess people should know when to indulge and when to cut back, otherwise they would be in debt or they would spend all of their money and would have none for tomorrow.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    With the exception of some special date, I see no reason to commit extravagances during shopping. It seems to me a very irresponsible attitude of those who don't know or don't want to control the own money. :confused:

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I think that it is a personal goal of mine to have as little of this as possible when I shop, at least on the day to day trips to avoid spending more. Maybe once in a while I can use a little bit, but not too much.