Extravagant Spendings

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by to7update • Aug 10, 2017.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Usually I save a lot, but when holidays come I spend some more money, after all what's the point of working and saving if we don't spend it right? Just last week I had lunch with my family in a restaurant at the beach, and it felt great, even if it wasn't cheap haha. Do you tend to spend more on the holidays too?

2. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I save money doing crazy stuff the whole year long but when it comes to holidays I spend all that I have saved. Usually, I spend my holidays at sea and a week at the mountain and I really want to relax and enjoy my time without to think of how much it costs. I prefer to buy anything I wish for me and my family, on holidays we do not save money....we spend money!

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do tend to spend more on vacations than I would if I were home. I mean isn't that the point of going away from home? Do things that you don't do at home like spend money. I know that it isn't a good practice but I like to feel free when I am on vacation. I don't want to worry about how much money I am spending. If I was going to do that then I would stay at home.

4. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people spend their money in an unreasonable way thus having financial problems in the future, always consider all possibilities.

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Well I don't spend too much of my savings on holidays but I will enjoy it to the core. I usually save some money for holidays separately and spend that money. :)

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @wallet@wallet Haha, I don't spend all my money lol, as I like to keep some for the rainy days that do happen, but I spend obviously more than when I am at work. After all, I think we deserve it as life is not just working, we need to experience the good things life has to offer, and those usually are paid. :D

#6Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  7. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update Well, just like you put it "what is the use of saving money if not to spend it". I do spend money even during working periods and holidays. It's all about the occasion that calls for the spending of the money.

I can't just spend because I have the money to spend. If one should continue in such manner, one will come to realize that sooner than later one would deplete his/her savings.

I recommend one spend wisely and not too extravagant as a result of the the nature of economy today; as one might think his/her job is secured and keep on spending only to come back after holidays and see himself being cut short from work and discharged. Be wise.

#7Aug 11, 2017
  8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This holiday thing is always a financial trap that’s why commercial establishments invent holidays like Father’s Day, Mother’s Day and any other occasion that they can think of because it can stir up the spending desire of the consumers. That is the reason why we have to be on the lookout for spending during holidays. However, when we go abroad for a vacation, we don’t really scrimp although we have a budget as a guide. It’s better that way than to go on a spending spree that later on would be regrettable.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Heatman@Heatman Pretty much, one earns in order to spend, and a good financial health is achieved when we manage to balance that. At the same time, we need to enjoy life, so I see the holiday spendings as an investment in my personal happiness. :D

#9Aug 12, 2017
  10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I am naturally frugal and I've always opted for a simple life, preferring to save money for the more important things in life than spending money for quick and temporary gratification. However, I recognize that while I need to save and invest to retire comfortably, I also need to enjoy my life and invest in relationships with my family or loved ones. That can mean spending more than the ordinary when we want a change of location or when the kids want to go to the beach, go bowling, etc.

Like what @to7update@to7update said, we have to strike the balance between our need to save and the need to enjoy life at the same time. One is more likely to stick to his/her savings or retirement goals if the present needs are being met. It would be foolish, however, to spend all your earnings and not save something for yourself. If you need to spend for entertainment and your bonding activities, do so, but make sure that it's part of the budget so you can decide whether to cut some items off or work harder to fund the activity.

11. Damsko

DamskoNew Member

Threads:
    I’m always tempted to spend more than what is on the budget but I try to keep every cent to be spent under tight control. On some few occasions, I’ve had to make a number of alterations on the budget so as to accommodate unexpected spending while on holidays. I was left with few options other than that.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I expect to spend a lot of money when I go on holiday so I save and make sure I have enough for plenty of treats. If I'm going to scrimp and save at other times of the year I want to make sure I have plenty when I go away. It mainly goes on clothes, food and visits to places which are nearby to where I am staying.