Extreme Ways To Save Money On Food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Jun 10, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last year I read a story about a man who found a mountain lion that had just been struck by truck. And what a stroke of luck it was for him. All that meat . . .

He's probably not the only person who eats road kill. A lot of people do. I've never tried it and don't think I ever will but it can be a good way to save money if you live in a place where wild animals are regularly killed by motorists.

Anyone here had road kill for dinner?

2. lisasian86

lisasian86Member

Threads:
    I haven't done it myself but I've watched a documentary on this guy from the UK that only eats roadkill meat. The people that live near him think he's really weird and he has even recieved death threats because of his ''hobby''. Personally though I don't think it's that bad. As long as you know that the animal isn't disease ridden than I understand why people do it. I'm not sure I would do it myself though, unless I was desperately hungry.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would rather see someone eat roadkill than an animal they paid someone to raise in awful conditions, torture and bleed out for their burgers. It's a depressing, oppressive existence. At least the wild animal lived freely until it's death.

In our society what's actually extreme (and annoying) is having compassion and being healthy.. so flipping backwards.

4. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    Hmmm that sounds pretty gross but I have heard of some pretty extreme things! There was a guy on Project Runway a few years back who claimed he only ate cast-off food and frequently found food in garbage cans and dumpsters. This seems really unsanitary not to mention unpleasant, plus there are so many charities to help the hungry I can't imagine going to this length. Then again this guy wasn't poor, it was more of some kind of... actually I have no idea his reasoning but it sure was strange!

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would have the temerity to feast on such meat that I find on the road. However, if a hunter would offer me a portion of his game, I would probably grab it provided the meat is not too exotic like skunk or kangaroo, maybe deer or wild boar would be fine.

Pardon me if you are a dog lover. I remember an incident when a stray dog was hit by a car. The dog died instantly and the "drinkers" in the neighborhood salvaged the carcass to be food for their drinking session. I would never be able to eat dog meat, never.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never done it but if they know what they are doing and know how to spot good meat from bad ones then I guess it's alright. The only time I'd worry that much is if I feel as though the carcass has been sitting around for too long or if it has gotten too messed with that it becomes unsanitary but otherwise I think it's not so different from eating something you hunt out in the wild. I'd also be a bit hesitant depending on the type of animal that was killed but even then I'd at least maybe give it a try once or twice.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen on the television cases of people going for roadkill in an area which is a hippo crossing point. In some instances, hippos have been entangled in nearby bushes and the people move in for the kill. The problem with some of these animals is that they might have zoonosis and can be easily transmitted to those feeding on the animal.

8. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Man, road kill? Just buy beans and rice...it's like 30 cents a meal for 600+ calories, probably more lol. And people call vegans weird :(