Face Masks

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by blues • Feb 24, 2015.

1. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    There's a variety of mask type things available. From Diy/Pinterest creations to store bought ones, there's something for every need. Popular DIY concepts involve honey, eggs, lemon (some fruits in general), etc. There's a little controversy about whether DIY masks actually benefit as store bought ones with proven actives that help your skin. Commercial masks tend to have more choices compared to what you can make yourself (given what you have/how much things cost). Plus, store bought ones aren't really that expensive if you space it out to once every few days/once a week.

Personally, I've tried both and I prefer masks from the store. I can determine what I want (they usually have specific things for different needs) and there's usually reviews I can compare to. They're less messy and more or less come out to a dollar or less per mask (sheet mask, that is) if I can find a few on sale. What are your perceptions on masks? Have you tried doing any DIY ones that have shown improvement in skin? Do you think masks have any value in general?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer shop bought ones because using your own ingredients can be messy and expensive. Eggs are very expensive and honey is too. Also these ingredients are active which means you could react more, where store bought ones usually are chemically stabilized. Also it can be economical to buy in the store as you can use a mask when you want, whereas you can't store a home made one in the cupboard.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried putting on a face mask on my face yet, but I am open to the idea of trying it, but I would go for the commercial-made ones first to save time and effort and see if there will be an effect or improvement on my skin. If there's no improvement, then I won't continue using it.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy masks from stores. I prepare all my facial and body masks at home, and I love to experiment with them. One of my favorite facial masks consists of natural green clay and honey. The clay tightens my pores while the honey moisturizes my face. After removing the mask I like to apply diluted lemon juice to my face and neck for a nice tightening and lifting effect.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy clay pwder from eBay and make up my own masks. It can get a bit messy but it works out a great deal cheaper. I've never thought to use lemon juice afterwards, but I can see how it would work - I think I'll give it a try!

6. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I love making homemade masks. If you look online you will find loads these days. I love making my own. I feel better for it! I like shop ones if I haven't got as much time. I think putting a shop bought one on before you head out is okay, but I prefer making my own.

7. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    From my experience, mask benefits are typically short term unless you use them consistently or if there's certain ingredients in it. I think the majority of masks are for hydration, and they feel like a mini pampering. If you're only into commercial products, there's a variety of issues you can find masks for: dryness, redness, acne, etc. If you're looking for a specific issue for your skin, I would suggest researching online for where they sell/buy online. If you're just up for trying it, I believe most big stores are starting to carry some albeit at a pretty steep (steeper?) price from what I see. My mom tends to pick up whatever masks that are on sale at Marshalls :p

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see, I really don't have pimples anymore, and I only don't like the pores on my face being enlarged. Do you know of a face mask that can make them shrink? Can face masks help make them shrink in the first place?