Facebook Birthday Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by charahome • Dec 5, 2013.

1. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    Facebook offers the option to purchase an online gift for people that have a birthday.
    I have been suggested to purchase, gift cards, like for stores, coffee and others.
    The recipient gets an email with the gift.

I have not used it, but was curious if anyone has opted to use this option?;)

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

These "gifties" came from a site called tuluna I do surveys for them. How it works is you buy some one a virtual gift and there is a chance that the gift will be real or just virtual so really it isn't a good idea. Cause you don't know weather or not that one will be real or not it doesn't tell you.

3. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Could you explain the part where you 'don't know if the gift is virtual or real'? I don't get it. Do they send a picture of a teddy bear instead of an actual one or what? :D

4. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    So it may or may not be a physical card? or it may not be a real gift.
    There are so many new things out there. It seems like merchants are really trying to come up with new ways to make it convenient for people to spend money at their stores.

To me it would be convenient to purchase, say a starbucks card, for my son, send it through an email, he gets it within seconds, and he can go get a coffee.

The idea seems great.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    My mother in law sent me a Starbucks gift card for my birthday via Facebook.

I got it just like any other Starbucks "egift." There was an email with my gift card code and pin number on it. I immediately added it to my registered Starbucks card. It was totally easy. I have no idea if she paid a fee for it. I feel like that should be illegal if she did (or just plain stupid), but my guess is that there are no hidden fees, but Facebook basically gets a small credit for acting as the advertiser.

Seems weird for Starbucks, really, when everyone in the entire globe (practically) has access to them.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's quite convenient, I don't see any reason why it would be inconvenient to receive an e-gift? You can still use it just the same as a physical gift card.

7. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    Thank you for your response, you are the first person to give me a true testimonial regarding the use of the egift. However, you mentioned you had to load it to a starbucks existing card. If a person does not have a card, how are they going to use the gift at a store. Do they need to have a previous gift card?

Now this is confusing.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I hate the Facebook prompt asking me if I want to buy a birthday gift. It's annoying.

That being said, I did buy my BFF a Starbucks e-gift. I knew she had a registered Starbucks card because I gave it to her for her previous birthday. She was asking about my Starbucks coupons so I got a card for her. I didn't pay an extra fee.

I don't know what would happen if you don't have a registered card. I'm assuming you would need to get a card to transfer the money to it.