Factory Overruns Not Always Cheaper

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Corzhens • Jul 6, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were in Hongkong the other weekend and as usual, my nephew who lives there brought us to the factory outlet. I had been there once so I already know that some items were not really cheap. Factory overruns means cheaper price, my nephew insisted. But I came prepared with a list of prices that I gathered in the city (Tsim Sha Tsui). And I was proven right because shoes and bags costs more in the factory outlet than in the city's mini malls.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem with outlets these days is that many people go there and think it's cheaper, and it's not always because they know people will think that and they mark up. The only cheap places are in the actual markets and the small shops where the labels are cut out, and even then you have to shop around.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your observation is on point. In fact, there's this store selling factory overruns just a few blocks from the building where my office is located. I often pass by that place until one day curiosity got the better of me and I decided to take a look. Not only were the products too common-looking (at least according to my standards) but they were pricey beyond belief. I couldn't believe a plain Nike shirt would cost you $15. If it's supposed to be old stock, the price should have depreciated by a few bucks already. But it seems like instead of slashing off the price, the sellers are actually increasing it.

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I suppose that would depend on the location. Here in the Philippines, factory overruns are far cheaper. I've bought factory overruns before and those clothes are also in good condition as well even after a few months. Although, not all overruns are durable. Some would really need close analyzing before being bought.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another thing that the clothing companies probably don't want you to know is that namebrand clothes sold in so called factory outlet stores are inferior products made to be sold there. So, it isn't like you are getting an Anne Klein dress for 80 percent off, for example. You are getting a less expensive version of the dress that is probably worth what you pay for it.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really used to taking note of comparing prices in general, but thanks for the info. I guess we should not automatically think that factory outlets are cheaper, because obviously, not all are not. I will keep that info in mind the next time I go into a factory outlet.

7. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    The reason I like outlets is because sometimes the brand you want that is no longer available is still being sold as 'leftovers'. There are certain types of Keens for example, that I have been able to purchase at an REI Outlet that I wasn't able to purchase in their regular stores. I like their older styles better than the newer ones they are coming out with. But you are right, those types of shoe outlets are always outrageously priced, even if it is half off, you are still going to pay an arm and a leg for it. But I must admit, some of the nicer brand names last longer and are worth it to me.