Fad foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 31, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Some foods have been around a very long time and have suddenly become fashionable. When I hear about something I haven't eaten before, I am inclined to to try it out but sometimes the hype surrounding a food far exceeds the enjoyment to be had. Two such fad foods that come to mind are Greek yoghurt and Quinoa. I don't mind either of these foods and as an option for increased variety in my diet, they are good. I am not going to make them fundamental foods in my diet though.

What do you think of fad foods? Do they live up to the hype for you? Do you even bother with them and can you even find them in your local stores?

2. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    In-N-Out is a pretty popular burger joint in the western US and it's one of those fad restaurants so I though I'd try it and was very disappointed. The Burger was alright but nothing special and the fries were just awful.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with fad foods. I think that sometimes, they can be a good way of discovering something new, especially something a bit healthier. I'm glad Greek yogurt is so popular for example. I started eating it several months ago and fell in love. It tastes great, is good for you, and yeah it's a fad food. I agree that maybe there is some hype to a lot of fad foods, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

4. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    In-N-Out gets a lot of hype and I think that's probably why it didn't meet your expectations. After all, it is fast food, but the way some people describe it, it's as if it should rival some conventional burger joints that you sit down and eat at.

Their fries are a bit different, but I actually like them because they simply taste quite a bit different than most other fast food joints. Also, give their shakes a try. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

5. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I think that whether a food is a " fad food" or not is simply a matter of opinion. Personally I don't bother with them, I don't look to see what is hot and what's not. I just eat what I enjoy and what tastes good to me and those around me that I have to feed.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am so sick of hearing about Kale and Quinoa. Cooked Quinoa looks and tastes like chewy birdseed. I really don't care for the overly nutty taste of it at all. It's awful as a substitute for rice in stuff like fried rice. I'm a human being, not a parakeet. Kale chips look and taste like dried seaweed. I don't really care for the metallic taste of it either. I much prefer escarole or chard or just plain old spinach over it any day of the week - plus they are more or less just as nutritious.

I will enjoy greek yogurt from time to time, simply with some fruit and or honey. But I'm not a fan of putting it in everything as a replacement for other higher fat ingredients like cream. It's way too tart and totally throws the flavor of those dishes off. I had some frozen greek yogurt iced cream the other day, and could barely eat it because it was so sour. It's nothing like eating a sweet, buttery regular iced cream.

I don't touch soy milk, and I try to avoid soy products in general because I don't want my hormones getting all out of whack. But I do actually like Almond milk. Apparently almond milk has actually been around for centuries too. I just wish the ones on the market would leave out all the extra additives. They don't need to put all those thickeners and other stuff in there to try and give it the mouth feel of whole milk. I would be fine with it being less viscous, and less processed.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also tired of hearing about kale. Recently, I saw Hansens has a kale soda. I thought it was lime at first. I don't mind Greek yogurt or the new milks out there.
    Though almond and coconut milk/waters are refreshing, there is one brand that is gross. Vitacoco has an entirely different taste and supposedly Rihanna has major shares in the company.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny that a lot of the same foods keep coming up, I was thinking kale and quinoa. It feels like everyone is touting kale as the next wonder food, don't know what to add to something add kale to stir frys, scrambled eggs or even juicers. I would have said that Greek yogurt appears to be a fad food but it has been popular for at least 4 years now and think it has passed the classification of fad food and now moved into the category of food people eat on a regular basis and will continue to do so.