Fake Goods On Groupon And Similar Sites

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Nov 13, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been reports that Groupon has been selling fake goods and other companies that are similar such as Living Social, and Wowcher. As they sell on behalf of third parties it's hard to know if that company has genuine stock, so would you trust them? I've ordered from Groupon and have had no issues, but I do check the third party they are selling from, but if this is the case, surely these companies should impose penalties if these rogue companies advertise through them?

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Most definitely these companies should impose penalties to rogue companies because otherwise, it would reflect badly on them if they didn't.

I prefer not to buy through these type of companies because I can't guarantee what quality of goods I may end up with. I like to go to the store and choose what I want with a good service person advising me of the benefits of the purchase.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Any third party company that's hiding under another to sell fake products should be penalized. They are giving the main company very bad reputation. At first thought one may conclude it's Groupon itself that's into fake stuffs. If I cannot vouch for the integrity of other sites using Groupon as a doorway to sell their items then I can't be on the site for any business same is applicable to others.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Just like on earning sites they don't guarantee the safety of ads/links/downloads and stuff, I think a lot of these selling sites don't guarantee the safety of using third parties. I'm not sure about Groupon in particular, but I would check the fine print.

Nobody wants to be responsible for anything these days, they just want your money.

There were several issues like this across various sites. On a scam site I was on, they were talking about how people ordered a laptop but when their package was delivered, the only thing inside was a picture of the laptop. The same picture used on the site. I don't know if they can get away with a technicality like that, but if it were my site, I'd want to do something about it. I would want people to trust my site. I wouldn't want to lose customers over the actions of someone else.

I guess it's like everything else these days. We have to do our homework, and even then, we're often still taking a risk.