Fake Items Online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by MoneyMan • Feb 17, 2015.

1. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    It's evident that replica/fake items are littered online everywhere. However, I have come to realize that there are now sites dedicated to hosting items that are not authentic. For example, Aliexpress.com is a popular one. Basically, it is a eBay for replica items, that hosts Chinese sellers. My question is, what do you think of this new trend of being able to buy fakes online?

My worry is that someone will be tricked into buying an item that they believe is real. I am a victim of this, which is why I am worried for other users. Always make sure the price is reasonable on an item. Sometimes, it CAN be too good to be true.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think to avoid being tricked into buying replica items online, just go directly to the store that you want to buy from. Even if for sure the items there will be more expensive, at least you can be assured that you're getting the real deal. In Ebay, if the item is fake, some sellers will misspell it so that the customer knows it's fake, like "N!ke" intead if "Nike".

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It's not easy to spot fake items specially when you purchase them online not unless there is a comment section or a rating system for the items. But I do understand the logic behind replica items, since they're cheap and most people would probably want to buy cheap replicas as gifts or things like that.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The problem is the quality of a fake item might be so poor that spending money on such items can be likened to throwing the money away. That's why I hardly ever buy anything from sites other than Amazon, Ebay and a few others because the chances of buying something fake there are quite low. When shopping online one must take precautions to avoid losing money and if it means avoiding sites like the one mentioned by the OP no matter how cheap the products are, then so be it.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really go for fake items. I much prefer to get the real thing, if I can't afford it; I just do without it. Or alternatively I'll buy it from designer outlets or even very good second hand stores that sell them in vey good condition. I don't agree with sellers who deliberately mislead people into thinking they're getting kosher items when they are clearly not. I once bought some Bobbi Brown makeup brushes off Ebay, only to realise they were far from the real deal. I suppose I should have been a bit more cautious than I was. The seller must have been at it for ages; because shortly afterwards, I received an email from Ebay warning me off him and he soon disappeared from Ebay.

Can i also say I absolutely hate alibaba? many people have been conned by sellers on that site and I refuse o touch it with a barge pole.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not a new trend, it's been going on for years and people are taken in because the sites look so authentic and us photos that are of the real products. If the price is too low then you know it's fake and these days you can check how long a site has been up and where it is based. It may take some work, but is worth it in the end.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if the website mention above in the OP admits that these items are not the real thing and made in China then enter at your own risk is the only advice I can give. I have to admit that with me, I tend to avoid websites I'm not too familar with, especially online. I will stick with Ebay and Amazon when buying something. Then I would want to know more about the seller and what kind of reputation they have on the website by looking at customer reviews and over all rating.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that using common sense will help to figure out whether you are dealing with a fake or the real thing. Doing a general price check on the desired item at other sites will quickly give you clues what you are dealing with. But, naturally, you can never be sure. I always think if it's too good to be true, it's usually a rip-off.

9. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    I think its not easy to identify fake items online because there are only pictures of products which you are going to buy and in physical shops you can know more about your desire products.

10. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I've known a few people to get tricked into buying fake products online. Some have been tricked into paying and not receiving anything at all! These operations can obviously not go on for too long but they do exist. This kind of activity makes it very important to verify your sources. Read the reviews and comments. Ask others where they have purchased goods without issue, or ask at an online forum, like this one, there are a lot of honest people out there that are willing to help others not to get scammed.

11. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Simply avoid big name product ranges which are popular is my best tip, Nike in particular seems to be a big one targeted with fake items for some reason in the footwear department, haven't noticed other brands being hit as hard.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's bad for the market, but mostly only when the sellers claim it to be real even though it's fake. I don't have much of a problem with it as long as sellers are upfront about what they are selling. As for keeping safe, the general rule for me is that when the item is too cheap for the brand it carries, then it's most likely a copy.

13. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    The sad thing is that this is now the nature of online shopping. And the quality of the fakes is pretty good as well. I don't know how this can be policed unless people simply choose to avoid sites they are unfamiliar with and stick to more established ones.

14. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've had an issue once or twice with being sold on an idea & given a piece of garbage. However, that has not swayed me from using them. I had pretty good experiences with eBay solving these issues & likely eating a bit of the cost.

15. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I have bought a few phone cases and tablet cases that were clear mass-manufactured knock offs. They were also super cheap, much cheaper than going for the real deal so I was not surprised by the lesser quality. I will say that every single item I've purchased of that sort has worked well and fine despite the potentially cheaper materials but I really must say they have never looked as good as the supplied pictures. In every case the pictures have always been photoshopped to perfection and often times don't even much resemble the final product. I haven't had that issue when it comes to name brand or first party merchandise, they usually look (understandbly, given the premium cost) much nicer. I will say that when it comes to computer cables or HDMI cables, go ahead and go for the cheapest as they all work more or less the same.