Fast food: Do you still eat fast food after hearing all the rumors?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Tellyv • Oct 26, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They aren't rumours. I mean, sure.. there will always be a few false tales, but yeah.. it's all garbage and I don't trust strangers to make my meals for me anyway lol. It's not just food that has the ew factor, it's what the people do to it often times as well. To each their own though.. most people don't bother to care.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We eat far less fast food than we used to at my house mostly because of the cost. For a family of 4, I can't get through the drive thru for under $23 dollars and it is not worth it to us. If we are going to eat the meal at home anyway, then it is much more cost effective to buy a simple dinner I can prepare at home. When we do fast food, I go through the drive-thru and take the food home. I can stop buy the grocery store and purchase 4 healthy TV dinners for about half of the cost if I really do not feel like preparing a meal myself. We save our money now and go to a nice dine in restaurant once a month or so. The only time I really ever eat fast food these days is if I forget my lunch at home when I go to work, which is not very often.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not crazy about fast food and most times when I go out I go to other types of restaurants. Now and again, though, I do go to fast food places. I'll usually try a new one out sooner or later; and, for a fact, I enjoy a Whopper Junior every so often. I'd say, though, that I probably eat fast food on average no more than two times a month.

I'm curious, too. What rumors are you talking about?

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I still eat fast food, and more importantly I still enjoy it.

It seems like everyday some expert is coming out saying this or that is bad for you and if you listened to everything then you'd end up eating nothing, we'll...nothing that you enjoyed anyway.

I think the key word is moderation, sure if all you live off is fast food then you won't be the healthiest person but every now and again I don't see a problem. Despite what people say...

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Human remains. (snort)

That's a little too gross to be real. Besides, I'd be more inclined to wonder if McDonald's hamburgers contained more than fifty percent meat of any kind, but perhaps I shouldn't say that for fear I'll start another wildfire rumor.

Every time someone brings up these kinds of rumors I tend to recall the one about KFC some years back.

Anyone remember this?

"The reason why they call it KFC is because they can not use the word chicken anymore. Why? KFC does not use real chickens. They actually use genetically manipulated organisms. These so called “chickens” are kept alive by tubes inserted into their bodies to pump blood and nutrients throughout their structure. They have no beaks, no feathers, and no feet. Their bone structure is dramatically shrunk to get more meat out of them. This is great for KFC."

It gave people I know the willies even though they knew it wasn't true. That's the power of the word, I suppose.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, exactly. Trends drive me nutty, in that everyone wants a magic bullet and refuses to look into it to see if it's even true or not. You listed perfect examples. A little crafty marketing and everyone thinks something is good for them when it's the complete opposite. People want others to feed them their info and if it backs up what they already believe or want, that's the end of the road; they're good to go.
    That said, there really is no such thing as "moderation" in the typical diet (proven if most people listed the ingredients they ate from day to day instead of the products themselves or where they purchased or ate them) and the waistline isn't the only, or even most important thing it could affect.

#26Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly. The question is a tad general & open for interpretation. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing. A bad thing when these 'rumours' are actually facts that should be taken into consideration.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I still do because I believe that most of the rumors are unwarranted but I do worry about questionable practices of some specific brands that I frequent. I still buy from them because it's just easier to buy food from fast food chains but I just try and limit my visits and when I do I try as much as possible to stick to small items like french fries and sundaes.

9. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what "rumors" you're talking about but a lot of the bad stuff talked about are based on fact. The worst cuts of meat, the poor processing procedures, the questionable additives etc etc. I must confess I do have fast food on occasion but I certainly don't make a habit out of it.

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I love eating fast food. I know it is not really good for health but I cannot resist the temptation to eat it every time I see it. I love the taste and smell of it.

11. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I still eat even after hearing about many different rumors. I can't help it. If I am in a hurry and I don't have time to cook, I end up eating in fast food. I don't think all the rumors really affect them. A lot of people still eat there.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, the real reason Kentucky Fried Chicken changed it's name to KFC was to down play the "fried" part of it, during a time when consumers were becoming more health conscious, and going on various low carb and low calorie diets. KFC's sales were slumping as big buckets of greasy fried chicken were no longer appealing to their prior customers. Their other fast food competitors were also offering healthier options, such as various salads, veggie burgers, wraps, and granola/yogurt cups, etc...

KFC has also been plagued with the perennial "fried rat" rumor that keeps popping up in the news over and over again. I don't think it's ever turned out to be true, but that never stops the news sites and bloggers from spreading the story around on a regular basis. I'm sorry, but if I was breading pieces of chicken to deep fry them, there is no way I would *accidentally* pick up a rat and bread it and fry it.

Incidentally, I've seen some KFC locations go back to their original Kentucky Fried Chicken name, such as one near me in Streetsboro, Ohio.

13. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    Guilty as charged. I still eat fastfood. I know it is unhealthy but cannot help it. I think it tastes okay, but cheap and affordable. This is why I eat it.

14. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I used to eat a lot of fast food, but then I heard a few things and I started cutting down, and now I barely ever eat fast food. It may taste alright, but I don't really want to think about what actually goes into those things...

15. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Ehh, I've heard lots of nasty things about fast food but I occasionally still eat them. I don't think it should be a problem because I don't eat out frequently at all. It's just when I'm out and looking for a quick lunch, I just pick up at a fast food restaurant. Other then that, just make my own food. I've always heard that fast food wasn't good for you so I never eat too much.

But for the question if I still eat out even though I know the rumours, yes I do. Mainly because fast food has become such a convenient place to eat that it's really hard to avoid. It's how it is in the world now. People know the consequences but nobody cares because everyones got to get on with their lives. So me? I try not to but when I need something fast, I couldn't care less about the rumors, just fill my stomach and I'm happy :D.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If heart disease, gastro horrors, diabetes, obesity and many many many many other facts don't keep people from treating their bodies poorly with garbage, a few rumours aren't about to sway them lol. What's a little heart attack or stroke when you can have a few minutes of greasy, fat building, artery clogging good times :D

17. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Yes knowing all the fact I still eat fast food. Probably maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes it is just more convenient when you are in a hurry and don't have time to stop home and prepare a meal. When I do go to them I try to pick the healthier choice but sometimes that is hard to do. A lot of time I go to Subway. It is one of my favorites!

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat fast food, but when I am feeling "health conscious" i go for the healthier menu items. Fast food has gotten so expensive these days however, that I don't eat it as much as I used to. Plus I am in a rural area and there not as many choices around here as in larger areas. Subway seems to be a good choice for fast food as they have a lot of vegetable available.

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do but I don't like much of fast food like I used to because the quality has come down. The only exception to rumors is KFC but I never liked them that much anyway. I guess it's also easier to eat it knowing there's rumors if I don't read them. Ignorance is bliss I say. See I worry about things as it is. I don't need to add to it. For instance I ended up bailing on the shot for birth control because I was too afraid I'd be like the other people who experienced awful side effects.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll still eat it once every couple of months. There are times when I've been on overtime all evening, nothing in the fridge at home and it's just been so much easier to use the drive-thru instead. Doesn't happen often though.