Fastfood Delivery For 2 Is Cheaper Than Cooking

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Corzhens • Jul 24, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, that is my computation - when there are only 2 people in The House, it is cheaper to just order food for delivery than cook. No more marketing required. But if there are more than 2 people in the house, it would be cheaper to go to the market and cook your own food. The other night we were about to order for delivery when I realized that there were 4 of us in the house so I resorted to cooking corned beef (in can) and just added cabbage for enhancements. That's definitely cheaper than ordering from McDonald's.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's only two of us in the house, but we try not to get too many takeouts, simply to ensure we eat as healthily as possible. I don't know if it works out cheaper to order in, to be honest, because here there's a hefty delivery charge as well. To get the food delivered free, we have to hike the amount we spend. So it ends up being expensive. I guess we could ring the order in and go and pick it up, but we don't drive. So it would end up being being something of a hassle and more expensive because we'd have to get the taxi there and back.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In some places take out can be cheaper, but it's not always healthier. Many places in the UK have a minimum spend too before you get free delivery and you should take into account tipping the driver. I think it's fine if you can't decide what to eat, are tired, or have no food in the house, but I'm not sure it saves money unless there is a meal deal on offer.

4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    Here in the country where I migrated it is me and my husband who is living only in the house. Even though it is only the two of us it is not our minds to just eat outside or to order foods for delivery. My husband grew up eating vegetables and less meat and that is in their culture that is why he does not like a fastfood products. We value our health that is why we just cook at home. Besides we can cook foods that are budget friendly that is healthy too.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely get delivery, for several of the reasons mentioned. No fast food restaurants here, other than pizza places, deliver to my area, and those are much more expensive than somewhere like McDonald's. There are only a few other places that deliver to my neighborhood, and as mentioned above, there is a delivery charge (double to other places, in some cases), as well as tips on top of that, that make it prohibitive to get delivery.

I don't argue with your logic, but I like cooking, and prefer home cooked food for the most part, which is why I cook large meals and then portion them up and freeze them for future use. On the few occasions that I have gotten delivery here, I have had to 'round up' my order, so I could escape the delivery charge with one place, and order enough for 2-3 days, since it's just me here. I've ordered from there a few times with the neighbors, and in that case, it's definitely worth it.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We seldom have any kind of food delivered; but we will occasiionally go to Little Caesar's Pizza and get one of their pizzas for dinner, since they are very cheap compred to most of the other pizza places, and the quality is just as good, plus, they are close.
    For about $8, we can have their supreme pizza, extra large size. The same thing delivered from Dominoes was about $15 +$5 for the delivery person.
    So a huge difference !
    We do not always feel like making a home-cooked meal; so I do shop and plan for that contingency. We always have plenty of the foods we can enjoy and make an easy meal with, usually a sandwich of some kind for Bobby, and a salad or maybe a kefir smoothie for myself.
    It is much cheaper, and a whole lot healthier as well.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can not even get food delivered here, so that is not an option. For awhile a few places delivered but I think that has pretty much stopped. Also, I am not sure if McDonald's has food delivery services anywhere in the US. I think there actually is one place that might deliver Chinese Food out here, but I am sure they would be put some kind of surcharge on it. I will have to find out. Either I pay in my gas, or their delivery surcharge, I am sure!

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some cheap places aren't always ethical either. In the UK there was a story about a man who ordered take out and he had a nut allergy. He told the establishment he had an allergy and they told him they didn't use nut oil or anything with nuts. However, they did as it was cheaper; the owner lied. The man died and the owner of the place is now in jail.

If you do have allergies then eating out or getting take out can be quite dangerous and isn't worth the risk as it was tragically in this case.

9. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I also love ordering food when I'm at home alone or with my SO. It saves time, since you don't need to cook, and it saves money, since you can get quality food for a cheap price while on the other hand cooking your own meals requires grocery shopping, money and time. You can easily get two pizzas delivered at your home for $8 or less in 20 minutes from a local pizzeria.

If you live in a crowdy city, I recommend using the JustEat app, since it offers an endless list of cheap places to get food from. Most of them even offer free shipping if you are not too far away, and sometimes there are some good discounts and offer especially if you pay with PayPal.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    It's much more expensive to order food here than it is to make it. I can make a pizza for around £2.50 from scratch whereas ordering in a pizza would cost £10 for the pizza itself then an additional £8 for delivery, plus £5 tip. And it's greasy too, and I can't usually eat it anyway due to my allergies. For that reason I definitely prefer to make it myself from scratch. People that have take outs that are really cheap and have free delivery near them are lucky!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you analyzed it right, because over here we just buy food from the nearby stores, and you pay P60 to P70 for a full meal with extra rice included from those small food stores, or P68 for a chicken and rice meal from Mini Stop, so it is even cheaper than ordering from Mcdonald's because P200 is the minimum delivery amount.

12. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    For me it would not be cheaper for me and my husband to eat out everyday, fast food on the cheapest day would beon average 10 dollars for 2 people times that by 3 meals that is about 30 dollars a day (900 a month), even if you only spent 10 dollar a day on two people that is about 300 dollars a month. I spend half that on a month worth (3 meals each day) of groceries. My grocery bill for the month runs about 150-200 and that is with having 3 meals a day for 2 people. So for me it would not save me money plus fast food is just not good for you. We only go out to eat on special occasions.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get your point and I agree that you can prepare food much healthier and cheaper as well than ordering for delivery or eating out. But for older people like us, doing the preparation is big deal especially me because I have a daytime job and I'm already tired from work and stressed out with the traffic. That's why I always agree when we call to order for delivery. At least I can eat dinner and not do anything - no dishes to wash.

But when we have a housemaid like now, we seldom order for delivery because we can cook with the assistance of the housemaid who can do the slicing and needed chopping also the cleaning up and washing of the dishes too.