Favorite Camp Foods?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Mar 17, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Where I'm at in the southern part of The U.S. spring has sprung. In fact, it's well on it's way to bypassing spring altogether and moving straight into summer, as it has for the past couple of years.
    Anyway, it's time to enjoy camping out again. I ordinarily prefer all the typical fare one would expect at any backyard barbeque, with hamburgers and hotdogs being my favorite. Smoked meats, too--chickens, cornish hens, pork roasts, venison, etc.
    I also enjoy a good fish fry at camp.
    But what else is good in the (unlikely) event that I should tire of all that?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    You could try smoked duck or salmon! Honestly though, if you're going out to fish or hunt you could just cook whatever meat you get, it tastes especially good when it's fresh and you had to work hard to get it.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    We're not usually hunting or fishing. We take our horses and enjoy the trails.
    Smoked duck sounds good. It's been a long time since I've tasted duck. I don't know about the salmon, though. I'm not fond of smoked fish as a rule.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we went camping and fishing, we always made fried chicken and a big bowl of potato salad to take along . If we fished, and caught fish, we cooked those over the campfire and ate them.
    Sometimes, we wrapped up potatoes in tinfoil and baked them in the coals to go along with the chicken or fish.
    In the mornings, it was a hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs, and pancakes made in an old cast iron frying pan, again, over the campfire.
    I love smoked fish, and used to smoke my own when we had enough trout to smoke them. I had one of those Little Chief smokers, and the trout were like eating smoked salmon when they were done. I never had those on a camping trip, though.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    HFL, I don't know why I don't like smoked fish. I just never have, even though it seems like something I would like. I even do smoke some on occasion, only to discover that my tastes haven't changed and neither have Ken's. He'll ask me why I wasted perfectly good fish and I'll have to tell him I don't know why, I just thought a change was in order.

No change for us in the fish department, though. It's fried (preferably), baked or broiled for us.
    I do often pack some fried chicken, though, like you said. Along with either some potato salad or some pasta salad.

Whatever I've got in the refrigerator that is already prepared usually goes with us so that we don't have to cook the first night if we don't want to. And sometimes I just make use of the camper stove/oven and make something other than grilled or campfire food.