Favorite Cheap Pizza?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jennifer McGaha • Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jennifer McGaha

Jennifer McGahaNew Member

Threads:
    Okay, so of course i would prefer a good, homemade, traditional wood oven roasted Pizza...but i dont have that luxury. I work off little money and sometimes have to grab the REALLY cheap frozen ones. There are soooo many to chose from. Red Baron, Totinos, California Kitchen and Digorno...just to make a few. I always find myself standing there..looking at prices, toppings, sizes. I know i am going to pick the Totinos with the little square pepperonis but still...i stand there for 5-10 minutes sometimes..overwhelmed by my choices. Haha
    So....
    My favorite is Totinos Pepperoni. Usually between $1-$1.89 a piece.
    What are your favorites?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Totinos for this household too! We don't eat them very often, but I like to have one in the freezer for those days when I'm running late or have a night class and need my son to start dinner. He is a pizza fanatic so I know he'll be happy to just throw a pizza in the oven. More often, I usually just go to Papa Murphy's on my way home. They assemble the pizzas, but you bring them home and bake them yourself. It costs about $8 for large pizza, but the taste is much more fresh than pulling one out of my freezer.

3. Jennifer McGaha

Jennifer McGahaNew Member

Threads:
    Wal-Mart had a $5 and $8 version of that where i live. They are HUGE so they wont fit in my freezer! Haha you kinda HAVE to cook them when you get home or youll have a soggy mess on your hands.

4. Mattenheimer

MattenheimerNew Member

Threads:
    As with anything, it is always cheapest to make it homemade. The most expensive, and essential ingredient in a good pizza is the cheese. The problem that I have with most frozen pizza is the cheese. It is usually flavorless and barely resembles what it is trying to be! When I was younger I used to eat those celeste pizzas because they were only a buck a piece on sale. I tried to eat one the other day and it was barely edible! It is amazing to me how our taste buds change and alter over the years.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The two I am the biggest fans of are the 14" Red Baron pizzas, which are almost always on sale at Wal-Mart for less than $3 each, and Save-A-Lot's brand of frozen pizzas called Mantia's Italiano, which too are always on sale for 2 for $5.

It's hard to beat $3 for a pizza, even when making it yourself. You can spend $3 easily just on a bag of shredded cheese - which you will use almost a whole bag for a pizza. Then you still have to pay for the sauce, additional toppings, and the dough.

Save-A-Lot does sell the Mantia's Italiano brand sauce in a jar for 99 cents, and the dough mix in a pouch for 59 cents each. So you could make two really basic home made pizzas with one jar of the sauce and two pouches of dough mix which comes to about $2.20. But there wouldn't be any toppings, other than perhaps a dusting of Romano/Parmesan on both.

I've bought those really huge fresh pizzas they sell at Wal-Mart too - usually right by the door when you walk in through their food section. They're OK, but not great imo. One trick I do when baking them is to simply cut them in half and put each half on a baking sheet instead of trying to bake the whole thing as one. I don't have pizza pans large enough for them.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    NOT TRUE!! Homemade pizza ingredients, at the end of the day, are almost always going to be more expensive than buying it pre-made.

My favorite is actually Papa John's. I say this because they are so often offering good deals, there are very often codes for free pizza, and it is just good. Frozen pizzas are okay and certainly some are better than others, but they are more convenience food than tasty food to me.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my place, there's a franchise called Lotsa Pizza. They offer cheap pizza but they're really really delicious. In fact, their pizza is even more delicious than the popular Pizza Hut! Six slices of pizza would cost only about 5 dollars. They have pepperoni pizza, Hawaiian pizza, all beef, and premium pizza. Not a lot of choices really but they're all so good.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    For take-out it's Little Caesar's. For a frozen quick meal, though, both Kroger and Walmart have store brand rising crust pizzas that are really pretty good. At Kroger I can usually get them two for ten dollars. I've forgotten what they are at Walmart, but I'm thinking it's about the same.

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    When I saw the subject-line, I first thought of

which emails you deals on Pizza Hut pizza---deals even better than their current online-only large 2-topping for only $7.99!

But when I 'read the full post' (don't you hate it when people do that---read the subject-line & assume they know what you're saying & -what you're asking them? :p), I thought "Oh! That kind of 'cheap' ;)" And my answer is: Hot Pockets. Kinda like the Totino's, but bigger.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My favourite frozen pizza is a supermarket own-brand that has hotdogs stuffed into the crust. Only £1.50 and I NEVER share it! :p

The supermarket is called Iceland.

11. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Hm, I've never tried frozen pizza before. I don't think I want to go through the work of making my own or even just putting one in the oven. My favorite type of pizzas are Dominos. Their garlic crust is so good; it's like the only crust of fast food pizzas that I really like. I also really like their chicken and oven baked sandwiches. They have a deal on Mon-Thurs that sells a large 2 topping pizza for I think only 7.99, which I think is pretty good.

I don't think that can beat the cheap prices of frozen pizza at Walmart though.. Hm. I also put in a vote for Hot Pockets. There's a lot of different flavors besides pizza and if you buy one of those gigantic value packs, I think each individual Hot Pocket is less than a dollar. They're less filling than an entire pizza however.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    ooh, that reminds me. Have you ever tried Papa Murphy's? It's sort of a restaurant-style pizza, except they give it to you uncooked (with simple cooking-directions). It's slightly more-expensive (high-quality ingredients, I guess), but mm-mm good!

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We have different brands of small pizzas being sold at our local convenience stores here and they are great. One personal pizza costs about $1 each and you could just buy it frozen to heat up at home or you could have it heated up at the convenience store with the use of their ovens which do take a while so I usually just bring it home and heat it up there since I can at least get other things done while waiting.