Favorite Do-It-Yourself Home Beauty Tips

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by melmac • Apr 25, 2012.

1. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I am all about trying the latest products, but sometimes you can find beauty secrets in your cupboards. One of my favorites is a facial made from egg whites, ground oatmeal flakes, plain greek yogurt and a small amount of honey. I mix it up and keep it on for about 20 minutes and it makes my skin feels fabulous. Plus, if you get the products directly from the fridge--the coldness is so refreshing. Another cheap beauty tip is to use olive oil if you run out of moisturizer b/c its better to have some moisture on your face then none.

What are you do-it-yourself homemade beauty secrets?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I make an exfoliator from Greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice and sugar. You can use it all over your body - including the face - and it sloughs off dead skin cells and leaves your skin glowing and soft. I use it once a week, and I have great skin, despite having Lupus, which can affect the skin badly.

3. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    I use common sugar, I mean white sugar, with a few lemon drops to exfoliate. Sometimes I add essential oils instead of lemon depends on my mood and the result I want to achieve. I have found that many people use sugar to exfoliate and I do believe it is the best thing you can do.

4. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting all the tips I'd love to try some.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I have been looking for natural fixes for dried damanged hair. I know that oilive oil and avocado are great for your hair but does any one know of a recipe or concoction so that it all works together in the correct ratio? I would do it to my hair but I want to make sure that I wont mess it up further than what it is. Help?:confused:

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently gotten into using mayonnaise... which sounds disgusting if you hate mayo (as I do), but if you add a few drops of lavender or some other essential oil, it masks the smell. Put it on after you wash your hair, and then cover it with a plastic bag and a hat and leave it there for anywhere between twenty minutes or an hour. (After an hour, it will start to drip all over you.) Then either rinse it out, or wash it out with a really mild baby shampoo.

7. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    To get rid of acne scars, you can use a few drops of lemon juice on the scars. It might take a while to eradicate the scars, but it works.

I use 2 tablespoon of oatmeal, one egg yolk, and two table spoon of brown sugar to exfoliate my face and heels of my feet. Mix them together and simply lather them on your face, and your heels. Massage your face and heels gently. You can rinse off with cold or lukewarm water. After that, you can a mild facial cleanser to get rid of the egg yolk smell. Happy trying!

8. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    One of my favorite DIY beauty tips is the use of petroleum jelly if a lip balm is absent. I simply buy a small round container and put some petroleum jelly on it and even add some artificial flavors such as strawberry if I want to. I then put them inside the ref and voila! After an hour or 2, i already have my own lip balm/gloss. :)

9. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite face mask is the mixture of honey, yogurt, and banana. I do it at least twice a week for a clearer and softer skin. :)
    For my hair, a shot glass of vodka, honey, and a drop of essential oil. Then rinse after 20 minutes. It's for lasting shine.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've been looking around for a diy leave in conditioner, but most of the ones I've encountered require rinsing. Does anyine know of one?

11. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    We use a an egg yolks with some lemon juice (fresh lemons!) and a little bit of castor oil. You mix all of this, put on your hair and enwrap your head in a towel in order to keep it warm for 15-30 minutes. But it needs to be used on regular basis, once a week, for several weeks or even months.

12. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Is there any measurements to the ixture of honey, yoghurt, and banana? I don't think it's a good idea to keep any leftover?

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I mash up an avocado and put it on my face. I rinse it off (in the kitchen sink since the avocado clogs the bathroom sink drain) after about 30 minutes and my skin feels really smooth. I also use potato slices to reduce the dark circles under my eyes.

14. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    *Mix a little baking soda in with facial cleanser to exfoliate.
    *Mix a little baking soda in with shampoo in order to clarify hair.
    *Use coconut oil as a moisturizer, you can eat and cook with it as well!
    *Fill up the sink with hot water and hold a towel over my head to steam out my pores.

15. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Baby Powder does wonders in relieving greasy hair! Especially for Blondies, it sucks the grease right up, allowing you to sneak a little bit longer between washes!

16. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow - I didn't know that about avocado - will definitely try it when I buy some.

For your eyes, aside from potato slices (which I use them sometimes, too), teabags and slices of cucumber help me a lot in keeping the area around my eyes soft and smooth. It clears up the area, as well.

17. Marya

MaryaNew Member

Threads:
    Brown sugar scrub
    This scrub combines three of the most simple effective ingredients for an effective
    spring cleaning to unclog pores and sweep away the dry patches.

#17Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012