Favorite pizza topping combo and place?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by robinegg • Aug 15, 2014.

1. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    Best pizza topping combinations are highly relative, but what are some that everybody should try? I'm talking the weirder combos that people don't usually think of, not your typical meat lover's extravaganza or hawaiian. Also, what's your favorite pizza place?

Personally, I love Philly steak, mushrooms, and onions on any pizza, and if they can add clusters of ground beef( not beef crumbs), that is the perfect pizza for me. As for the place, I love Dominos. They once gave me a free pizza because they made a mistake on my regular order of one medium pizza, so they are my favourite guys now!

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a pretty simple dude.
    So I'm in for some cheese, tunna, some mushrooms, and some olives. Case closed son!
    Keep your pineapples, and your mangos...

3. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a particular pizza place that I like, but I'm a huge sucker for a combo pizza (you know the ones with both meat and veggies on it). The one kind of pizza I don't like is Hawaiian...I just don't like the combination of meat and pineapples. Bleh!

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I love this place here in Kansas City called Original's Pizza. These have huge slices & the cheese is thick and high quality. The combination of topping I prefer are pepperoni, spicy sausage, Canadian bacon, beef, bell pepper, tomato, extra cheese. red onion. When the Kansas City Royals win and score 5 or more runs, the pizza at Papa Johns is 50% off.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I am very basic when it comes to pizza. I enjoy the traditional pepperoni and sausage combo. Usually, I order my pizza from Dominos. To me, they are one of the better fast food pizza joints. Their ingredients are fresh. Plus, if you go on sites like Swagbucks.com, you can earn points that apply to coupons for Dominos Pizza. So far, I have earned three of them. And yes, they all worked to get me $5 off an order.

l.

6. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Keep the olives and seafood and give me mushrooms. I love California Pizza Kitchen though some people say they're not authentic. One pizza I can't get enough of is Thai Chicken. I don't like the frozen CPK version but in restaurant or Trader Joe's version.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like meat combinations and especially if there is Italian sausage on it. I'm not too concerned with the rest of the ingredients as much as the Italian sausage and as long as they provide for a good contrast then I'm good. I don't like pineapple on my pizza that much, but I'm slowly learning to like it. I at least understand the appeal of it now more than ever.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    There's a local pizza place around here called Franco's and they make some of the best pizza I've ever had. I'm a pretty simply person when it comes to pizza, though, I like cheese, pepperoni, sausage, onions and peppers. I've never really tried anything besides that. I don't think I would like any kind of dessert or Hawaiian pizza, so I just don't venture down that road.

9. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I really like those that allow us to customize what I want on the pizza. I try to be safe and mostly just go with chicken, pepperoni, shrimps, and extra cheese. Pizza Hut has those crust with cheese in it that is so awesome. I always order those with the toppings I mentioned. Not all Pizza Hut has custom toppings though, the one in my town has it fortunately.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Here are a few of my faves:

White clam pizza with lemon wedges for squeezin' @ Piece.
    Mushroom, black olive, green pepper @ Mama Luna.
    Grilled chicken, shredded carrot, green onion, peanut sauce @ Marcello's

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is something about the combination of tomato based pizza sauce and pineapple that makes me want to vomit. I don't like those two flavors mixed together at all. I wouldn't mind it if it were a "white" pizza (just garlic and olive oil for the "sauce" part) then put on the cheese, ham and pineapple. I like those flavors together, just not with tomato sauce.

I also don't understand why so many pizza joints never use real fresh Italian sausage on their pizzas, they all seem to use that processed weird sausage nuggets or sausage crumbles crap, which is loaded with non-meat filler and MSG and salt. Some of our local pizza joints even sell fresh sausage sandwiches, but they still use that processed junk on the pizzas. How hard is it to cook off some bulk sausage and keep it in a warming tray for pizzas? Or grill off some sausage links and cut them into medallions for a topping.

Personally I just like some roasted red and green peppers, and a generous amount of Romano cheese (no Mozarella). This is known as "Brier Hill" style pizza where I live, but I've also seen it referred to as "Sicilian Style" elsewhere. The cheese soaks up the sauce and gets an orange color, then starts to get all toasty and nutty tasting. The sauce itself thickens and becomes more concentrated and sweet since it's not sitting under a blanket of cheese and oil, and the peppers get sweeter too. It's just a lot of concentrated flavors.

I've tried anchovies on pizzas before, but didn't care for them. It's not that I don't like anchovy, it's just that they are waaaayyyy too salty to be putting a bunch of them on a pizza. It's like someone dumped a whole salt shaker on my pizza. If I put anchovy in my pasta sauce it's only one, two max, filets for a whole pot of sauce - that's it. When I've had it on pizzas, they put like 20+ filets on the pizza which is nuts.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thick crust, green peppers, olives and sausage is what I like to get when I do get a pizza. The family gets the cheese pizza often which I can not eat more than one small piece, it upsets my stomach. But when there are two teenage boys in the house that is not a problem.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Little Caesar's is underrated. When I only have $5 and crave pizza, I can get a large pepperoni there for $5. That's always a decent deal. As for my favorite place, basically any pizzeria that has those big New York style slices that you have to fold in half.

14. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    I love pizza with shrimp and pineapple. There are times when I get hungry and I cook a "Hawaiian" pizza, a modified recipe of the originally Canadian Bacon & Pineapple, which now is more commonly made with Aged Ham & Pineapple. As for shrimp, I like it because it's considered a wet ingredient and when it's cooked it tends to expand and flavour the entire pizza, making it amazingly tasty.

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Pepperoni is a must-have topping for me, and I only eat the more traditional pizza sauces (tomato/olive oil). Barbecue sauce and lime mayonnaise are really disgusting sauces to add onto a pizza in my opinion.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite topping is chicken and green peppers. I love the combination of crunchy veg and mozzarella. I don't really have a favourite place and tend to use the independent store at the top of my street. Their pizza is just as good as Dominos but costs half the price. Plus, I get to support a local business.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    My most liked pizza toppings are pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, ham, pineapple, green bell peppers, onions, chicken, and olives. Combo of cheese is a must too, but mainly jack, mozzarella, and cheddar are the best. Of course, a simple pepperoni pizza will do for me too if its all I can acquire to eat at the moment.

18. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Calda's pizza and Shakey's pizza. I love the vegetarian pizza at Calda's and I love the Belly Buster pizza of Shakey's. Calda's pizza is much cheaper though. The toppings that I want to be put in pizza are the following:

onions
    Bell pepper
    Mushrooms
    Tomatoes (not much though)

That's it actually. Sometimes I love ground beef on my pizza. At times I want to have lettuce in it too (like the cheeseburger pizza).

19. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I can actually deal with any kind of pizza topping except sausages and ham. I can eat sausages and ham, but those are probably my least favorite toppings. I do love any 3-cheese or 4-cheese pizzas, and I like supreme pizza with everything on it, except sausages and ham or course.

Pizza is probably one of my favorite unhealthy food options.

20. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Mushrooms, chicken and cheese. It's simple yet delicious, that's why it's my favorite.

My favorite place is a local pizza parlor (not a franchise) just a few streets from my home. They know how to cook perfectly my favorite pizza, so I'm not going anywhere else.